Help uploading videos to YouTube.

ollie

I got my laptop the other day and I have edited a shooting video using movie maker. I have trimmed the video down and it is ready to upload.

I have never uploaded videos to YouTube so I am curious whether the quality of the video can be altered when you are uploading it onto YouTube? Or is this something I should have done on movie maker while I was editing the video.

Advice is appreciated.

The quality you shot the video is your upper limit. If you shot it in 1080p and 50fps, you can't make it any better.

I've never used movie maker, but it's not the most elaborate of tools to use. Windoze tend to not put much effort into their products, especially when you compare MS Paint with Photoshop. MS paint has existed for nearly 30 years and barely changed. They could have easily followed in the footsteps of Photoshop, but they decided to remain a joke application.

You can't alter the quality once you upload it. Youtube will give users to select the quality they watch the media, but it's only going to be at a lower quality than your original media.

Depending on your outputted file, for a worthy two minute HD Youtube clip, I'd estimate 250MB. This will really be down to what Movie Maker lets you output though. I can't imagine they'd give you the option for professional level codecs (Usually 1GB for about 6 seconds, but can go infinitely higher).

Essentially, you want to be happy with your video before it goes on YouTube. That site it just a means of hosting the video and what you give them is what they'll host. They do offer some tools to tidy up your video, but if you're using those tools, you've not done your job correctly in the edit!

If you're stuck, let me know though!

Edited by Billy.

The quality you shot the video is your upper limit. If you shot it in 1080p and 50fps, you can't make it any better.

I've never used movie maker, but it's not the most elaborate of tools to use. Windoze tend to not put much effort into their products, especially when you compare MS Paint with Photoshop. MS paint has existed for nearly 30 years and barely changed. They could have easily followed in the footsteps of Photoshop, but they decided to remain a joke application.

You can't alter the quality once you upload it. Youtube will give users to select the quality they watch the media, but it's only going to be at a lower quality than your original media.

Depending on your outputted file, for a worthy two minute HD Youtube clip, I'd estimate 250MB. This will really be down to what Movie Maker lets you output though. I can't imagine they'd give you the option for professional level codecs (Usually 1GB for about 6 seconds, but can go infinitely higher).

Essentially, you want to be happy with your video before it goes on YouTube. That site it just a means of hosting the video and what you give them is what they'll host. They do offer some tools to tidy up your video, but if you're using those tools, you've not done your job correctly in the edit!

If you're stuck, let me know though!

Thanks for the reply, very thorough.

What video editing software would you recommend instead of movie maker? I want something that is quite user friendly.

Thanks for the reply, very thorough.

What video editing software would you recommend instead of movie maker? I want something that is quite user friendly.

I edit on FCPX and Avid. I'm still getting to grips with Avid though, but I'd recommend Avid over those two.

I don't really know any free video editing tools. Generally you pay for the quality and friendly UI, but I'm sure there will be some free tools out there which will offer better options than Movie Maker.

I edit on FCPX and Avid. I'm still getting to grips with Avid though, but I'd recommend Avid over those two.

I don't really know any free video editing tools. Generally you pay for the quality and friendly UI, but I'm sure there will be some free tools out there which will offer better options than Movie Maker.

Cheers again fella. Would I just order Avid online if I was getting it? How much is it?

Cheers again fella. Would I just order Avid online if I was getting it? How much is it?

I really wouldn't rush into buying/paying into any pro editing software. Avid does offer you a 30 day trial though, but after that you'll be looking at signing up at something like £120 a month.

Take the trial out and see what you think of it. It'll be nowhere near as easy as movie maker, as that's designed for ease of use.

If you have an iPad, I highly recommend something like iMovie. That will get you started on proper timelines and organising clips into a hierarchy for blending and effects building.

iMovie also has a number of ready made scenes where you fill the scenes with videos and it will help you make a really exciting video. By guiding you on where to put a close up and then where to insert a wider shot will ensure the video flows well and doesn't end up with back to back close ups.

Most of the issues I have encountered with youtube has been the video has been too long, I cut the clip accordingly and upload straight from my phone! Had to render one vid from my video camera, as it didn't like the format. I just used a free video conversion software off tinternet!

I have a few video editing suites but couldn't be bothered to install them and set them up :lol: