need some advice with a problem between me & RFD

naddan28

Right guys, I have brought myself a second hand BSA Lightning from local gunshop, on the 1/12/6 which came with 3 months waranty. I only just put it on a chrono and its around 9ftlbs. The gunshop chrono'ed it at under 10ftlbs. So they have offered me to part ex on another gun but I will not get back the purchase price, just what they would ordinarilly PX it for. Or if I want it respringed, I have to pay for it!

Personally, I feel as its under warranty that they should either respring for free or offer me a credit note for the orginal purchase price and I will probably begrudingly pay the premium to get another gun from there.

What does everyone think? I don't want to start banding round acqusations of negilgence and sales of good act but I dont particullary fancy losing out because they sold a rifle which was not as it should be.

Personally, I believe they are in breach of sections 14(2) and 14(3) of the SOGA 1979 in that the air rifle is not fit for purpose or of satisfactory quality. Also, the fact i was told by the shop it was set close to the legal limit means that they would also potentially be open to negligent mis-statement. But i would rather not have to threaten legal proceeding's! :@

sorry i put this in general as I wondered what all readers would do as its a RFD prob not a airgun prob but mods have moved it, so sorry for posting the same topic essentially twice.

Edited by naddan28

that was the way it was sold, I asked to have it chrono'ed as wanted to insure it was within limit and around the 12ftlbs mark as was using it for hunting. He said "no worries, all our guns are chrono'ed by us before we resell them to ensure we don't sell any FAC rated air rifles to non fac holders.

Just spoke to my neighbour and they tried to pull on over on him. He wanted a theoben gun, asked whether it was in stock. They said yes he gave a deposit and then was told oh 3 weeks waiting list. He said no its in stock, you said! The RFD replied yes its in stock with theoben not us.

I have PM'ed mungler, see what happens.

Right guys, I have brought myself a second hand BSA Lightning from local gunshop, on the 1/12/6 which came with 3 months waranty. I only just put it on a chrono and its around 9ftlbs. The gunshop chrono'ed it at under 10ftlbs. So they have offered me to part ex on another gun but I will not get back the purchase price, just what they would ordinarilly PX it for. Or if I want it respringed, I have to pay for it!

What do you want then? One that does 11.9ft/lbs?

A Lightning is far better at 10ft/lbs than 12, as it is a lightweight gun, hence has little weight to absorb the recoil.

It is a 10 minute job to get it up 1 or 2 ft/lbs. Just add a couple of washers behind the spring, then chrono it again.

I'm currently running a Longbow at 10ft/lbs, and am very pleased with it - I can hot any target at the Club, and usually come in the top 5 or higher in the competitions.

Alan.

They will say that you caned the gun for 2 months and it has naturally lost its ooompf.

Can you prove that the gun was not of satisfactory quality or fit for purpose when you bought it - not really, and the gun is working now, save that it needs more oompf - it is also worth bearing this in mind because the gun is second hand.... can you prove that the gun was not sold to you back in December at full power, not really, I hear the gunshop saying "it was second hand, he caned it and the spring wasn't brand new and so the loss of power is a natural consequence".

Best case, your loss is the cost of juicing the gun upto the legal limit which is either fitting a new spring or a couple of washers depending on whose view you take. You can't consider taking legal proceedings or getting ****ty for what is either a £20 job or a £0.20 job depending on whose view you take.

Bin it and get a PCP. Springers are a waste of time..... (tin hat on etc). :D

why the repost???

I posted it in the general section as i thought it was a general grevance with the RFD and just happened to be over an air rifle. However, the mods moved it into airguns so hence why 2 similar posts in the one thread, sorry.

They will say that you caned the gun for 2 months and it has naturally lost its ooompf.

Can you prove that the gun was not of satisfactory quality or fit for purpose when you bought it - not really, and the gun is working now, save that it needs more oompf - it is also worth bearing this in mind because the gun is second hand.... can you prove that the gun was not sold to you back in December at full power, not really, I hear the gunshop saying "it was second hand, he caned it and the spring wasn't brand new and so the loss of power is a natural consequence".

Best case, your loss is the cost of juicing the gun upto the legal limit which is either fitting a new spring or a couple of washers depending on whose view you take. You can't consider taking legal proceedings or getting ****ty for what is either a £20 job or a £0.20 job depending on whose view you take.

Bin it and get a PCP. Springers are a waste of time..... (tin hat on etc). :rolleyes:

I was considering a PCP anyway, just annoying that the gunshop were really good at taking the money and now won't do **** all or other any customer service at all. I know what you are saying mungler, but I is it normal practice for a airgun to lose 2ftlbs in 2 months, esp as at time of purchase i was told 3 month warranty? Either way, having no offer really local RFD (its hsit as well, they only stock .22 rifles, regardless of customer service!) then I am a tad ******** when the new laws come into play :@. I was considering buying a second hand PCP from airgunbbs or here but just didn't see why I should when they blatently sold me a gun that they either didn't chrono or did and realised it was under powered and hoped no-one would notice!

When they suggested training in, I was so shocked to hear they would buy it back for a lot cheaper and sell me the new gun at regular price. That way, they will effectively make 3 seperate profits from me buying one **** gun and uprating for a new one.

All i suppose I can really do now, is launch a moral crusade against it and hope people take note. From what I hear the attitude in there seems to be "Is he a regular?, nope lets stitch him right up!". I reckon if i gave it to the farmer I shot for and he took it in there they would give him a full bloody refund, as wouldn't want to upset him, the family and his connected shooters etc but lowly young student me....tucked right up!

***EDIT forgot to say, thanks for all the advice guys, I didn't know what the standard practice was and just thought I would pick the more exp shooters minds. Esp thanks to mungler, for lending some qualified legal opnions on my 1st year business law knowledge! I must say I do think if I had only chrono'ed it sooner I would be in a much better position, but you live and learn, eh?

Edited by naddan28

It's never easy...........

BSA's are like Landrovers, both made in the Midlands and tempremental as anything. On song and at full power one minute, flat as a **** the next!

A hammer, some easy start and brute force work best for both companies products. :blink:

Next time buy a Weihrauch, mines still at 11.8 after almost a ton of lead up the tube.

BSA's are like Landrovers, both made in the Midlands and tempremental as anything. On song and at full power one minute, flat as a **** the next!

A hammer, some easy start and brute force work best for both companies products. :blink:

Next time buy a Weihrauch, mines still at 11.8 after almost a ton of lead up the tube.

thanks for that, I think i will probably be getting a air arms PCP for my birthday (or sooner if I can :blink:) in march. Shouldered a AAS200 felt really nice, I liked the lack of weight should make aiming and carrying easier and the forestock felt easy to grip even being square!

Pre charged?:blink:?, why?

All that faffing around with pumps and bottles or back and forth for refills every few hundred shots, what a bind.

Everyone I know who's had one has suffered leaks and o ring failures and all have become obsessed with finding the ideal fill pressure between different brands of pellet.

Find a good brand of springer, always ready to go when it's needed even when the gunshop is closed when you most need a recharge.

Right I'll get me coat.......

A hammer, some easy start and brute force work best for both companies products. :good:

Nowt wrong with my Landy or those Ive had in the past, IF you look after them, its the jap **** that cant hack it :good::good: D2D