Adjustable Recoil Pads

rich_morris

Hi all,

Having had a lesson, and been practicing my mounting, I am consistently getting the butt pad a little too high in my shoulder for comfort. The sight picture is ok, and the shooting position comfortable, apart from the shape of the pad not matching the pocket of my shoulder.

Has anybody fitted an adjustable butt pad to solve this?

I looked at the Isis adjustable but pad, but it seems quite expensive - are there any alternatives? I am not having an issue with recoil so much as a stock position issue.

Cheers

Rich

What did the instructor recommend?

I am arranging to meet up again with him to discuss - just looking into options myself...

You might want to consider changing guns to one that has a better fit. Having said that, I think the Isis product has a good reputation.

Hopefully not - IF

a ) I am just doing something wrong still, that can be easily rectified.

b ) A £50 butt pad can solve the problem?

Edited by rich_morris

There are several (Graco, Jones, and others) they seem more suited to the pre-mount disciplines and rifles given that they may stick out from the line off the stock. I know several who use them quite successfully, but I found getting a smooth mount became contrived.

Consider reshaping the pad or perhaps reshaping you shoulder pocket with something like one of those inserts that goes inside your shooting vest/jacket. The Musto one is thin but effective and there are others from Browning and Beretta .

Then a stock bending may do it.

Some options for your list and may be cured by your instructor!

Edited by seeker

Is the Isis product only £50 fitted? I guess if you only need to adjust a little then it should work. I would have thought that you should have it fitted by an experienced person who would also check the entire fit.

I think you might find that changing the gun to one that does fit is the better solution (assuming that fit is the problem in the first place).

I fitted one of the cheaper adjustable pads - about £15 on Ebay. They are two aluminium plates, with a curved pad. I removed the pad and glued another pad on, which didn't have the pronounced curve.

Took about ten minutes - total cost of less than £30.

I used that option as well but I ground off the points on a grinding wheel and found the rubber a remarkably easy material to shape and smooth.

Edited by Katzenjammer