Car mechanic to HGV mechanic

Royboy

Or look at plant/agri? there are lots of things out there more interesting than cars. HOw about marine? Cranes? COuncil could be good just try and stay away from the bin waggons!

Worst are the bulk tippers used for commercial waste, heard many a story about stuff where it shouldn't be, worst was sheep carcass wrapped round a prop.......

That might be a interesting job, going on site and fixing machinery .

Most of the work is on site with that type of plant , that has its good and bad points good you are out at something different most days. The work can be heavy but now days, you could be out some days and not take a tool out of your van. All electronics and common rail engines, but you would be used to that if you were working at modern cars. Its the hydraulics that you might not have experience working at, they can be completed on modern plant.

That's a point up the road from where I first started there was a agri repair shop I am not sure what the pay was though but I new one of the lads from there and it was probably 70% on site work which also got one of the lads a lot of land to shoot over so it was a massive win win but

Have you considered becoming an AA/RAC breakdown tech? Guy who towed me home was an ex audi mechanic who had gone as far as he could (senior tech and R8 tech) and decided he wasnt ready for a desk job yet. Reconed the rewards were there if you put the time in (he was planning on buying himself an S5 in 12 months cash.....)

and not in a nice work shop you will need to get experience

I get what you are saying, but for me I can't get out of the workshop quick enough. Maybe a 2 hr drive to the job before you have to get your hands dirty. Different place every day take your lunch whenever it suits you, a van to use getting to work and home , and in some cases personal use and free diesel. The cost for that tax etc around £10 per week. Personally I would find working in a MOT centre boring but everyone is different.

First thing is you will need an LGV class 1, more pneumatics, less electrics and more stuff gets fixed on HGV's the MOT test is alot more stringent and the maintenace alot more frequent. Diagnosis can be a lot more difficult. Also everything is heavy and dirty! I once spent 2 hours changing a 5th wheel jaw kit the most filthy job i have ever done!

there is just as much if not more electrics on modern hgv's than cars

DONT GO DOWN WORKING FOR THE COUNCIL ROUTE I WORK AS A HGV FITTER FOR THEM AND A BIN TRUCK DRIVE IS PAYED THE SAME WE HAVE TO WORK ON CHAIN SAWS TO BIN TRUCKS SWEEPERS ETC TRACTORS LARGE AND SMALL MOWERS ETC

ANYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF CARS VANS ETC AND ONLY GET PAID THE SAME AS A BIN TRUCK DRIVER AND WE HAVE TO BUY ALL OUR OWN TOOLS I HAVE ABOUT £25000 WORTH AND THE DRIVERS EVEN GET TORCHERS BOUGHT FOR THEM SO IN REAL TERMS A BIN TRUCK DRIVER IS ON A HIGHER RATE OF PAY O AND YOU HAVE TO HAVE A HGV LICENCE

DONT GO DOWN WORKING FOR THE COUNCIL ROUTE I WORK AS A HGV FITTER FOR THEM AND A BIN TRUCK DRIVE IS PAYED THE SAME WE HAVE TO WORK ON CHAIN SAWS TO BIN TRUCKS SWEEPERS ETC TRACTORS LARGE AND SMALL MOWERS ETC

ANYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF CARS VANS ETC AND ONLY GET PAID THE SAME AS A BIN TRUCK DRIVER AND WE HAVE TO BUY ALL OUR OWN TOOLS I HAVE ABOUT £25000 WORTH AND THE DRIVERS EVEN GET TORCHERS BOUGHT FOR THEM SO IN REAL TERMS A BIN TRUCK DRIVER IS ON A HIGHER RATE OF PAY O AND YOU HAVE TO HAVE A HGV LICENCE

Seems I got lucky with my pay and conditions.