Re-blueing

checker

I've had the good luck of buying two SxS guns today that were at a give away price, reason being the blueing on them is pretty much all gone, there is light piting on the outside of the barrels too, but i must add its very light.

Question is has any of you re-blued any guns, is it costly and how easy or hard is the process?

I am certainly no expert but I asked the same thing here and was told "Birchwood Casey" gun blue.

I was hesitant but I used it to touch up some scratches and it has come up a treat. I know LordGeordie on here has done a whole barrel with the same stuff and he was impressed with how it came out.

I am certainly no expert but I asked the same thing here and was told "Birchwood Casey" gun blue.

I was hesitant but I used it to touch up some scratches and it has come up a treat. I know LordGeordie on here has done a whole barrel with the same stuff and he was impressed with how it came out.

i done mine with birchwood casey all the barrel come up ok.

As with a whole multitude of other things PREPERATION is paramount.

DON'T use sand paper :stupid:

I have seen MANY a gun ruined that way :stupid:

You want a VERY fine 0000 or 00000 grade wire wool and surface cleaner (degreaser) and for the real awkward parts like between the barrels and rib use a fine grade bronze brush in a dremmel (they don't last long) but they do a fantastic job.

It is best to make either 2 wooden bars to put into the barrels (top and bottom) like a Spit so you can move (rotate) the gun without touching the barrels as this will ruin the whole job.

Some people HAVE used wood turning lathes for this.

Make sure you degrease ALL the gun even the extractors as if you don't and catch the swab applying the blue then you drag oil onto the job and have to start ALL OVER AGAIN :stupid:

It's a LONG process but relatively easy :stupid:

OR you can pay a gunsmith around £60 to do it for you :P

LG