inland duck flighting

roostshooter1

Hi guys i just thought id let you in on how i got on at the weekend :)

2pm sat afternoon and im sat at home watching the rain smashing into the lounge windows whilst contemplating an evening flight . So by 3 pm i had made up my mind to get my waders out the shed and have ago :) much to my amusement the spaniel was less keen to get out the door . 3 30 pm i arrive at my little flight pond about 1 acre in size and was amazed at the number of mallard i could hear chatting away so full excitement i got the waders and the 5.11 tactical jackett on and headed across the feild to my destination . 3.45 pm and im sat in a ditch 35 yards from the pond and decide to send the dog in for a flush so off he goes as only springers can head down flat out like a nutter :) well as he reaches the pond i hear a noise which sounds like thunder as around 150 mallard and close to 100 teal lift off the pond and head straight away from me . So there i am shaking like a ****ting dog with gun in hand when they all loop round on the wind and come straight at me so up i jump with gun in hand and lace 3 shots into the sky for 2 mallard drakes quickly get down reload and see if they circle round me again sure enough in comes a group of around 20 mallard so up goes another 3 shots and anothe drake and hen are added to the bag which was to be the end on the duck shooting for the nyt so sent the dog to do his job while i just stood there with stupid big grin on my face when i suddenly hear the distant chattering of geese . So there i am with gun in hand the dog half way across the field when a skein of 11 greylags break over the top of the willows about 40 yards out so up goes the gun off goes 3 rounds of eley lightning steel and down comes one honker so i quickly reload and wait when not 5 mins later over they come again heading back the way they came so fired 3 more rounds and pulled one more down for the final tally of 4 mallard and 2 greylags 5 pm im sat in the car on my way home feeling well chuffed with my self for getting off my **** and giving it ago but they do say that most wildfowlers need a check up from the neck up lol

Thanks guys i think the mallard have had a brilliant breeding season this year some of the pairs in the pond in our garden had 3 lots of ducklins right upto second week of september . Im not sure on the wigeon numbers ive only seen 2 dabs this year so far and both were high and on a mission to get somewhere else