Marks and minor dents on stock

TomV

This should only work on oiled rather than varnished wood but its worked on both for me.

I use an electric soldering iron and a folded sheet of kitchen paper.

Heat up the iron. Fold up the kitchen paper to make a wad. Wet the wad and place it over the dent. push the tip of the soldering iron edge on over the dent and let it hiss and fizz for 20 sec or so. Keep lifting and checking the dent and moving the wad around so that the paper above the dent is always wet.

What you are doing is forcing hot steam into the wood under the dent. This makes it swell & the dent 'should' disappear or at least reduce.

As I said it shouldn't work on varnish as it would block the steam but it has for me (perhaps because the varnish was damaged?)

Have a go. If you keep wet paper, or cloth, between the hot iron and the wood you shouldn't damage anything. it will either work or it won't.

Edited by poorpeet

If the wood fibres are actually broken then steaming probably won't work.

Minor dents can be lifted by rubbing firmly with a hardwood block - a bit of clean oak with a very fine sanded finish for example.

If you know any obsessive compulsive house cleaners then the little Bissel bathroom steam cleaners are great for this but you will need to consider whether a lot of steam will mess with the finish.

Good advice from poorpeet too!

Edited by LeadWasp