continued loss of zero on .17

bacchus180

Last summer I bought a .17 anschutz and put a nighteater 6x24x56 scope on it, everytime I use it I have to rezero it, dunno why but always have to, up to 4 clicks out,

a few days ago, using a bipod I sat down and patiently grouped at 100yds on a large sighting target, 5 groups of 4 all within 1/2 an inch, two were cloverleafed, whilst doing this I never lifted the rifle from its position except to aim,

then I walked 50 yards or so to a gate post where I saw some bunnies sitting aout 80 yards away, pulled the pod legs out and mounted the rifle, I put 4 shots down.. none of them close, infact I couldn't see where they went, I know they weren't high or they would have clattered in the trees behind.

I returned to the same positon where I was zeroing and shoot at the same target.. not even a mark on it, walked about half way to it, shot again... not a mark.

then had to go, needed to pick kids up from school.. frustrated.. doesn't come close to the feeling.

the only thing I did differently was open a new batch of ammo.. I use remmie ammo, the batch i zeroed with was from the spring and the batch I missed with was from autumn after that shortage we all suffered from.

Any one got any ideas?.. what the might be going on? I would be grateful of any opinions..

I have changed my scope to test to an old edgar bros one from my .22 .. I will try and get to the bottom of this today maybe later this PM

the rifle is a 1717 with heavy barrel, shortened to about 18 inches and has an ase ultra on it, I have never managed to shoot this consistantly, when it was zeroed after it was new i changed the caps to zero, now the windage its 4 full moa clicks to the right, elevation is one full moa click lower, I do clean this rifle reguarly,

but I'm losing confidence with it and with the impending arrival of a beast of a southern guns .223, and having a .22 anschutz that never misses, I'm seriously considering throwing it away.. or just breaking it in half!.. grrrrrrr

Edited by Axe

Bacchus,I sympathise with you. I've recently bought a .17 CZ and I am having problems zeroing that. I can't manage to get a group within 1 1/2" at 100 yards. I've tried all manner of ammo and positions, with a bipod, without a bipod! I've also swapped scopes from my .22 and all to no avail. I also asked someone else to try for me,and they ended up with the same result.In the end I've taken the gun back to where I bought it from and asked them to zero it for me.

I can zero my 22.250 on less than a bad day on a 10p piece, on a good day on a 20p piece and my .22 on a five pence piece.

If you can, I would take it back, before your head goes and you chuck it in the ditch. It could be something fairly simple that a gunsmith could pick up straight away.

Hi guy's.

Have you checked all the screws on the action/stock are tight, sounds like you are getting movement from action/stock. Check that the barrel is free floating as well. With a change in ammo it shouldn't throw it off zero that much.

Go back to basics, take the action from the stock and put it back together, check barrel clearence by sliding a £5/10 note (hope you know what i mean) and see how far down the barrel it go's, it should go all the way down to the action with plenty of space.

A small amount of loctite on the action screws will help keep things tight.

you've a fundamental problem with the gun, check the action etc is tight and check the scope and mounts, if it keeps doing it try another scope as it sounds a bit like this may be at fault, just as an aside some of the .17's don't need cleaning that often mine goes off after about 200 rounds then takes about 10 to settle down after cleaning

thanks for the input.. I took it to the gunsmiths y-day and we checked it over, made sure the barrel was still free.. which it was.

even put a shot saver from hawk optics on it.. it seemed to be ok,

I have changed scopes just to see what happens and will have a go this afternoon.. it baffles me

Sorry bacchus I appear to be hijacking your post. When I bought the CZ the barrel was slightly touching the stock on one side, which I believe is quite common on these rifles. The gunsmith shaved a bit out for me and now it is free floating. I fitted a books trigger and both made no difference. I also took the mod off to check that the bullet wasn't clipping the mod.

Hopefully the gunsmith will have the same problem as me and this can be sorted out. The only other possibility is that I may need the cheek piece adjusting, however the .22 and .17 seem pretty similar to me and with swapping the scopes should have shown this up.

Ah well I'll just have to wait and see.

Sounds like a problem with either scope mounts action screws or your moderator fitting.

Just go through each one eliminating the problem and you ill find it.

@ Lazza have you tryed shooting 20gr's through it some barrels just wont shoot the 17gr and try a couple of different brands. Try a torque wrench and start at 20lbs and go up to 30 in 1lbs spaces shooting groups some rifles are fussy with that sort of thing

ive got money says its the scope. Always found the cheaper scopes allow you to move your head around and still maintain the correct sight picture (no black) have a look, you can actually move the cross hairs in relation to the target by moving your head.

Prehaps a inconsistant mount, between positions (your head will sit differently on the stock when prone to standing/sitting/off bench) or maybe your scope is too high and your not consistantly looking down scope.

Other than this, are you removing the mod?

Are you using the same batch of ammo. E.g all from a brick of 1000. or individually bought as 50's.

other than this..... ;) ..... are you shooting off the bipod sometimes? and sometimes not? is the barrel floated when the bipod is on and pressure is put on it from the shooter. Are you changing your hold from a firm grip to a soft grip, this can change accuracy........ try it next time your shooting targets.

got more idea's but got to go out :D

Check you mod is tight and if it can be disassembled ensure it is all tightened up.

Also if you have just had a bad week at work you will be off form, I know, and the more you work at it the worst you will get.

Watch you breathing and trigger pull. Breathing will give you vertal variation and trigger snatch horizontal variation. Like Nick says are you in the same position each time?

I find when I wear different clothes like a heavy coat I go off a mile? Don't really know why, just does.

Try withour a mod???

thanks again for all the input.. infact quite alot of input which makes interesting reading regarding shooting rifles in general I must say.

the good news is.. this afternoon it shot consistant half inch groups at 100 yards. some because of the wind which was blowing.. not gusting, would be a cpl of inches to the right of where I was aiming, but would still group tightly, then when the wind dropped it would be bang on again.

I then picked it up, thumped the scope, banged the rifle on the ground and on the side of the truck,

then it still shot exactly where I wanted it too... I put 100 rounds through it, then went for a walk and shot half a dozen bunnies. got in the truck and shot half a dozen more from the roof. longest one today was 137 yards. according to my rangefinder. so i'm a bit relieved. My confidence is somewhat restored in this weapon, although it will have to prove consistant to be a keeper.

My conclusion is the scope was obviously losing zero somehow.. I asked for a replacement, I like the scope cos of the optics and the fact it works with my NVD. I know its a cheapy. but its suprising how good it is.. ( contradiction in terms really.. cos this ones obviously ****e ) I fancy it will do for a .17 as its not needed to go out to too far a distance.. I have a HUGE S&B going on my .223...lol

hi there lads,glad you got the prob sorted bacchus180,,, now im worried cos ive got a nighteater 6x24-44 waiting on me for a new cz varmint 17hmr fingers crossed,i had left over a whitetail classic 3.5x10-50 then i swaped to get the extra mag,thought i was doin good thing,have i boobed, :oops: