Part P certification

pegleg31

I'm a joiner by trade but multi trade, I know how to wire and have done in the past before part p. Just thought it'd be easier if There was a course I could do so I could do it myself, I'm competent in wiring So was wondering if there was a course you could do like corgi used to do for kitchen fitters.

Can anyone tell me if you have to be an Electrician to obtain this or is there a course I can do which will allow me to work in kitchens and bathrooms?.

Russ

in a nut shell yes and pay a scheme provider like Elecsa ,NIC or Napit £450 ish a year for the pleasure to be a part "P" installer.

you will also need to be up to date with current regs ie have passed your 17th edition ,have public liability insurance and have all your meters calibrated with test certs.

oh and you'll get a yearly inspection.

there's prob a fast track course somewhere but that doesn't make you an electrician.

enjoy

I always get a sparky in for the bigger jobs but I can lose the little jobs when adding the price a sparky wants for wiring a shower in or fitting a few down lights. I'm not arguing what they charge is unfair as I get the cost of tools, I just mean I know how to do it I could do it at a fraction of the cost as I'm already there on site. I don't want to be a sparky by any means Depending what I'm doing I'll either first fix myself or get a sparky in. It's just annoying when you're losing jobs on labour costs.

Russ

Riss it is annoying when you are loosing jobs you say over it but it's for the clients benifit they use a qualified sparks as if there was ever a fault and they lose there house due to it they would end up with nothing as there home insurance would be void and they would come after you as well. There is a lot that goes on for sparks more than just chucking in a few cables and making it work.

If you are not intending to set up business as a Sparkie then I would stick to subbing it out and save the stress after all of your client doesn't want it done properly best to walk away anyway buddy

Wouldn't dream of doing it myself now, I used to years ago. My father had his own kitchen and bathroom showroom, I did plumbing and joinery, my brother did electrics and joinery but never finished the electrics course. I've done a few full house wires and re-wires but was just wondering if there was a course you could do like the one corgi used to do for kitchen fitters.

Part p is an organisation not a qualification , to be part p the minimum you need is 17 th edition ,insurance regs books few other bits , my gripe is and not having a pop ,once you join a part p organisation this lets you by law wire any domestic property from full rewires, new builds to adding a socket , I've always been against the quick route for this reason , you say your competent ( regs state you have to be qualified) and you may be competent but can you honestly say you can test your work and sign it of , quick test wot is r1 r2 and R1 and R2.

Trip times for rcds 30ma

Difference in b,c,d breakers

Difference between rcbo and an rcd

Like I said I'm not having a dig at you and wish you luck stay away from napits stick with Elecsa

I've been a sparks for a lot of years and followed some right guys round and seen some bodge jobs

Can you calculate an Earth loop impedance , the difference between a TT, TNS,TNCS system

Edited by bullet1747

Part p is an organisation not a qualification , to be part p the minimum you need is 17 th edition ,insurance regs books few other bits , my gripe is and not having a pop ,once you join a part p organisation this lets you by law wire any domestic property from full rewires, new builds to adding a socket , I've always been against the quick route for this reason , you say your competent ( regs state you have to be qualified) and you may be competent but can you honestly say you can test your work and sign it of , quick test wot is r1 r2 and R1 and R2.

Trip times for rcds 30ma

Difference in b,c,d breakers

Difference between rcbo and an rcd

Like I said I'm not having a dig at you and wish you luck stay away from napits stick with Elecsa

I've been a sparks for a lot of years and followed some right guys round and seen some bodge jobs

If I'm completely honest I couldn't tell you, I could lie and Google it but that's not me. It was just a thought and it looks like it's not possible. I've just moved and haven't got any contacts where I am and the ones I have aren't prepared to travel, so maybe I'll have to find a sparks who'll be happy with me doing the work and him signing it off.

This might help..

http://www.electriciansblog.co.uk/2014/09/part-p-3rd-party-certifiers-update/

Just don't risk leaving your self open to a claim on your public liability insurance

You can get third party certification but you will probably pay through the nose for it.

The attached shows you the minimum qualifications required for self certification.

Why not check out a day release or evening study course...you might find you enjoy it and it opens up a whole new world for you..

I did and it did!

Edited by Fisherman Mike

If I'm completely honest I couldn't tell you, I could lie and Google it but that's not me. It was just a thought and it looks like it's not possible. I've just moved and haven't got any contacts where I am and the ones I have aren't prepared to travel, so maybe I'll have to find a sparks who'll be happy with me doing the work and him signing it off.

That is illegal for a sparks to sign off your work , don't want to wee wee on ya topic just don't want you to hang your self , could always train to do it

That is illegal for a sparks to sign off your work , don't want to wee wee on ya topic just don't want you to hang your self , could always train to do it

Cheers again. If I'm honest I don't want to be a spark doesn't interest me at all, I respect what you do but it's not for me. I was just hoping there was a short course I could do that'd allow me to carry out the work on some smaller jobs it looks like it's not the case. Never mind I do enough anyway. I've taken my youngest brother on so I might see if he'll do a course although he's wnating to learn the plastering and tiling side of things.

, I just mean I know how to do it I could do it at a fraction of the cost as I'm already there on site. I don't want to be a sparky by any means Depending what I'm doing I'll either first fix myself or get a sparky in. It's just annoying when you're losing jobs on labour costs.

Russ

When i get asked to sign off DIY Electrical Installations the answer is always **** off.

All of the liability none of the profit

The honest answer to the op is yes you could do a sort of short coarse but it really is not worth it for what you are trying to achieve as you would not have enough knowledge gained by doing the short courses which are available as when you get your assessment with say the Nic Eic there job is to find out your level of compliance and can fire any question they like what is the maximum zs value for a 32amp breaker and if you don't know that's a lot of money down the pan.

I feel for you as relocating is very difficult there are a lot of really good sparks who don't think they are better than any other trade as if you think about we all need each other really.

Just save yourself the stress mate and sub the electrical jobs out completely

The honest answer to the op is yes you could do a sort of short coarse but it really is not worth it for what you are trying to achieve as you would not have enough knowledge gained by doing the short courses which are available as when you get your assessment with say the Nic Eic there job is to find out your level of compliance and can fire any question they like what is the maximum zs value for a 32amp breaker and if you don't know that's a lot of money down the pan.

I feel for you as relocating is very difficult there are a lot of really good sparks who don't think they are better than any other trade as if you think about we all need each other really.

Just save yourself the stress mate and sub the electrical jobs out completely

Thanks for some constructive advice, I've had some good advice from this thread and I'm leaning towards just doing what I usually do and see if I can find a decent local spark, plus bully my brother into a course ( the advantages of being 15yrs older).

I honestly think that would be the way to go i have often thought about doing the gas safe coarse due to similar situations that you have but it's another leap up again in the sense that I would need to do a lot of work to get my money back and I feel that I would really need to push the business in the gas side of things aswell and I get stressed keeping everyone happy now. Hope fully my son when he grows up does gas then it's a win win.

I wish you all the best and if I lived closer I would do the work for you