My new DAYSTATE, Just Arrived, happy days

evo

Good honest post Bob :good:

Amongst all the other useless skills I have, I used to map race car engines ECU's. When you know what your doing, mapping is a piece of cake. Now getting a spring to deliver consistent power, at a level you want it at, would be considerably harder to achieve. I'm sure I am not alone in being able to do that. So with all the high tech talk at Daystate, why can they not achieve it?

The SWP is 230bar on mine, is yours not the same? The Daystate spec says it is. :hmm: Check again and do a run at the fill pressure. I shouldn't imagine it will be any different, as its MCT, and I shouldn't have thought it will have dropped off at 170 bar. Just a thought, might be interesting. :yes::good:

Evo

As a devoted Daystate man do you think that quality is slipping a bit with the current crop?

From my recent experience personally it seems to be (its a small sample I know) but so far at the club we have had 2 new x Huntsman Regals go back for leaks and power issues and personally I had one of the first Wolverines out and that had to go back as the barrel shroud was touching the air cylinder so when you tapped the barrel the POI would shift as barrel moved over the cylinder. Also my local RFD has had a couple of FAC Huntsman Regals come back with leaks.

I compare this to my current FAC X2 Merlyn (bought 2nd hand off BBS) which is a blooming tack driver (the guy I bought it off said it was the most accurate FAC airgun he had ever owned and he wasnt wrong) and my club treasurer has a Harrier that he found was so accurate he put it into an FT stock to use as his FT gun. Also you never seem to see anyone having issues with the old Huntsman classics.

Not sure if this is us buying older second hand guns so basically anything that was duff has been weeded out or fixed. Daystate was always in my view the air rifle to aspire to when you first got into the sport but at the moment they do seem to heading down a concerning path both with new product releases and reliability.

Evo

As a devoted Daystate man do you think that quality is slipping a bit with the current crop?

From my recent experience personally it seems to be (its a small sample I know) but so far at the club we have had 2 new x Huntsman Regals go back for leaks and power issues and personally I had one of the first Wolverines out and that had to go back as the barrel shroud was touching the air cylinder so when you tapped the barrel the POI would shift as barrel moved over the cylinder. Also my local RFD has had a couple of FAC Huntsman Regals come back with leaks.

I compare this to my current FAC X2 Merlyn (bought 2nd hand off BBS) which is a blooming tack driver (the guy I bought it off said it was the most accurate FAC airgun he had ever owned and he wasnt wrong) and my club treasurer has a Harrier that he found was so accurate he put it into an FT stock to use as his FT gun. Also you never seem to see anyone having issues with the old Huntsman classics.

Not sure if this is us buying older second hand guns so basically anything that was duff has been weeded out or fixed. Daystate was always in my view the air rifle to aspire to when you first got into the sport but at the moment they do seem to heading down a concerning path both with new product releases and reliability.

to be honest I,m quite surprised the wolf is running so low from the threshold, with it being map compensated it would not be a problem for daystate to send it out running at 11.8ftlb,

with regards daystate rifles being on a downwards slope I can only agree as I,ve been seeing more and more complaints,,but for me my new wolverine b has been faultless and its sinfully accurate, the wolverine c also excellent, my cdt was low power till daystate turned it up and my huntsman ,,well that was originally low on power but they turned that up and it has been faultless in nearly 3 years, accurate as hell,,what is the first one I pick ? well its my wolverine b, it is accurate and running 11.7ftlb and I,m full of confidence when shooting it,,as you know I always praise daystate rifles but since they started to pump their rifles into the states and even design an ugly looking pulsar I have to admit they are starting to fall by the wayside,,gutted really as I do love my daystates but releasing them running low power is just stupid,,

as for the regal well its been full of problems yet my huntsman classic has been superb and still is, daystates aftersales is second to none IMO but should we really be sending a rifle back that has cost me £1700 in total to buy and be fully kitted out ,,,,, I think not,,, time will tell if they can get it back to where the daystate name was but unless they sort it now then I just cant see them having the same reputation they had 5years ago

atb Evo

Cheers Evo

You echo my thoughts on this. I hope Daystate do continue to fly the flag for quality as even though I had an issue with my Wolverine the quality was still great I know its sad but the bolt action was streets ahead of even the Air Arms/ BSAs I have had in the past.

But at the moment I think the QC is really letting them down as you say on nearly £1.7Ks worth of kit there should be very few issues out of the box. It is becoming noticable on the forums that more people are having issues with new guns especially the Huntsman and as BSA has shown once a reputation on a rifle has been built for unreliability it tends to stick.

Cheers Evo

You echo my thoughts on this. I hope Daystate do continue to fly the flag for quality as even though I had an issue with my Wolverine the quality was still great I know its sad but the bolt action was streets ahead of even the Air Arms/ BSAs I have had in the past.

But at the moment I think the QC is really letting them down as you say on nearly £1.7Ks worth of kit there should be very few issues out of the box. It is becoming noticable on the forums that more people are having issues with new guns especially the Huntsman and as BSA has shown once a reputation on a rifle has been built for unreliability it tends to stick.

Come on lads I know you love your Daystates but ... Are they really worth £1000 more than the HW100.

Come on lads I know you love your Daystates but ... Are they really worth £1000 more than the HW100.

even if it was just for the looks without the performance then the answer is a definite yes

but where do you get a £1000 more,,the airwolf is only £600 more,, is it worth it ? , YES without a doubt , just take a look at the two rifles the daystate speaks for itself, and that's not even to mention the electronic internals,

do they shoot the same ? yes they do PELLETS :lol::lol: :lol:

Not a £1000 more..........

even if it was just for the looks without the performance then the answer is a definite yes

but where do you get a £1000 more,,the airwolf is only £600 more,, is it worth it ? , YES without a doubt , just take a look at the two rifles the daystate speaks for itself, and that's not even to mention the electronic internals,

do they shoot the same ? yes they do PELLETS :lol::lol: :lol:

In all honesty Bob, IMO they aren't worth £600 more. I agree the Airwolf is the better looking of the two. I have the Airwolf MCT as it was the only FAC one to offer what I wanted. My HW100 is stupid accurate. It cannot be improved! I can service it myself and have just done the entire full bit, seals, reg pressure adjusting, anti-tamper removal. So I can take a silly accurate rifle right up to exactly the ft/lbs I want within the legal limit. Sadly, we can't adjust/balance the MCT's.

Would I like an Airwolf MCT sub 12......177....... :hmm: Yes probably. Will I get one, probably not. It wouldn't be any more accurate than my HW100, it would be more cumbersome, would have a higher shot count, is a bit bigger for my gibbon arms and frame, would be harder to use out of the truck, but would be slightly better off the bipod due to its length, is it more stylish, yep, I think so. Does it warrant the huge amount extra........absolutely not.

Having owned both yep although my Merlin cost less than a HW100 its still a different animal and I can say the same for the Wolverine I owned.

Comparing like for like and ignoring the recent issues with the Regal leaks, so lets say look at the original huntsman for a comparison they both cost about the same (on the flip side one could also mention that every HW100 we have ever seen up the club has gone overpower after about a month and we have seen a lot of HW100s) .

I would shoot a huntsman and take it hunting every day over a HW100, I found the full length HW100 horribly nose heavy and damn heavy to lug about also the stock while functional isn't exactly aesthetically pleasing :whistling: .

Having owned both yep although my Merlin cost less than a HW100 its still a different animal and I can say the same for the Wolverine I owned.

Comparing like for like and ignoring the recent issues with the Regal leaks, so lets say look at the original huntsman for a comparison they both cost about the same (on the flip side one could also mention that every HW100 we have ever seen up the club has gone overpower after about a month and we have seen a lot of HW100s) .

I would shoot a huntsman and take it hunting every day over a HW100, I found the full length HW100 horribly nose heavy and damn heavy to lug about also the stock while functional isn't exactly aesthetically pleasing :whistling: .

I agree Zetter. The full length is really too much. I'm pretty sure that has a bearing on why so many come up second hand. Mines the Karbine and it has its place in the cabinet. I felt the same about the original plank of a thumbhole, so bought the sporter stock version. Now they have refined the thumbhole, I have replaced it with one and it is very nice now.

I went for the full length in search of the shot count and in retrospect that was a mistake. My shooting buddy has the carbine and that is much nicer. Although I think the real nirvana for the HW100 Karbine is when they have the A+M cylinder on them which gives you the shot count and cuts the weight. Although you are looking at another 100 quid on top of the standard 100 to get one.

have to be honest turbo I do prefer the carbine version, but the one thing that has always been a putoff with the HW100 was the side lever, I know they are fine and work very well but I,ve always loved the bolt action on a rifle,

just to throw a spanner in the works I was having a look at the Air Arms s510 twin cylinder sporter today,,my god I was so surprised just how light that rifle was, it looked like it would weigh a ton but it was actually one of the lightest rifles I think I have ever shouldered,,I nearly put my hand in my pocket until I noticed the side lever :lol::lol: :lol:

in saying that though, the new UGLY pulsar has a side lever and I was very surprised Daystate went down that route because if you watch the video of when tony belas first showed the wolverine off before it was even in production he slated the side lever and praised the bolt action,, my how his attitude has changed now he has fitted one on the pulsar,

it is certainly 100% not for me which Is why I bought the Airwolf MCT in .177, have to say other than the slightly low power issue it is performing very well BUT I must get the power sorted even if its just for piece of mind,the wolverine b is simple to work on by the way , but it is mechanical

cheers Evo

Thing is Bob, Tony has to do as he's told by the Italians in charge. He may still hate the side leave but if the Italians say side leaver then side leaver it is. I still have faith in Tony, it's those Italians I don trust !

yes have to agree, the problem I see at the moment is guns of arizona seem to be ruling the roost as with the American market , I personally think daystate are trying to get a wider audience by hitting the states, the pulsar was solely designed with the American market to aim for,

in saying that you cant blame Daystate really because the restrictions in this country are stupid,

always had praise for tony since meeting him at the midland game fair 3 years ago, and he,s not a bad shot either,i,m not overly worried about the power issue but was expecting it to be higher considering its MAP,

atb Evo

I had a few shots with Evo's new rifle ... l think unless you have used a pcp of this quality its difficult to realise what a clinical piece of kit it is ... its not a couples of levels above my own budgets setup .. its a piece of high end engineering-electronics/pneumatics ..

If this had been.manufactured in the USA the yanks would be gobbing off from the highest of buildings, shouting off about superior "American engineering" ... in the UK we still suffer from an inability to appreciate innovation and quality. Style/looks is a personal appraisal, that l understand. This pcp is whatever your brand loyalty preferrences "l've none really" .. is near the pinnacle of pcp current production ability .. l'd suggest, use one then decide .. regards to its looks, thats for your eyes only ..

Me personally .. will l am happy with what l have, though if l was of the mind set to lay out the best part of £1700, l'd want a pcp of this quality and ability .. it really is that impressive ..