Baikal Shotgun info

Travlaa

Hi Guys and Girls,

Bought a Baikal shotgun today to do some rough shooting with..... but can't for the life of me get any info on it.

I was wondering what the year of manufacture was/how to tell what the fixed chokes are?

The Serial number is C01359 (on the foreend it state C01359K), by the trigger guard it has IJ 2764C

It came with two sets of barrels, 26 inch and I believe the others are 30inch.

Just wondering if anyone can give me some info on it? Looks in good condition, although with the shorter barrells on, the lever sits very central (further across with the longer barrells on it).

Any advice is as always, greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Trav

That sounds like a 628 - o/u, I take it?

A Baikal 627 (also classified as an IJ27), sold with two sets of barrels. From the serial number, it is pre-1987, but more I couldn't say.

Try asking on the Baikal owners sub-forum on shotgunworld - a chap going by the handle of Humpty Dumpty is quite an authority on the subject.

I'd be slightly surprised if your longer barrels are as long as 30". The shorter pair are probably skeet/skeet or cylinder/improved cylinder, and the longer pair are most likely full and ridiculously full.

Bores are chrome lined, and choke adjustment is usually done by shortening the barrels.

I used to have one of these. If it is single trigger you can select top barrel first by pushing trigger fwd - also I believe there was a simple way to switch it from ejector to just extractor by turning two little screws but cant remember precisely how- someone else might be able to add detail. Fine guns though. Dead reliable with some of the best barrels.

Thanks CaptainBeaky, yes 30inch was a rough measurement, and when cleaning it earlier the chokes felt extremely tight. Only bought it to do some pigeon shooting with, as too scared of wacking my mk60 on a tree.

Seems in good condition for a pre 1987 gun. When I collected it, the previous owner hadn't cleaned it. So gave it some tlc and came up like new

I used to have one of these. If it is single trigger you can select top barrel first by pushing trigger fwd - also I believe there was a simple way to switch it from ejector to just extractor by turning two little screws but cant remember precisely how- someone else might be able to add detail. Fine guns though. Dead reliable with some of the best barrels.

Thanks very much. Yes single trigger and spotted the screws yesterday. I guessed that was what they add for

Calipers or a drop gauge will give you choking indications,

18.517 mm cy

18.228 mm 1/4

18.059 mm 1/2

17.831mm 3/4

17.602mm F

but these are only theoretical values and the actual choking can only be determined accurately by patterning testing with your preferred loads.

Wear, wad type, manufacturing design and tolerances, shot type and hardness etc all alter true output, so get some wallpaper and shoot the gun with each barrel, % in a 75cm circle at 30m is

Cy 53%

1/4 70%

1/2 76%

3/4 83%

F 90%

ref Eley pattern guide

Calipers or a drop gauge will give you choking indications,

18.517 mm cy

18.228 mm 1/4

18.059 mm 1/2

17.831mm 3/4

17.602mm F

but these are only theoretical values and the actual choking can only be determined accurately by patterning testing with your preferred loads.

Wear, wad type, manufacturing design and tolerances, shot type and hardness etc all alter true output, so get some wallpaper and shoot the gun with each barrel, % in a 75cm circle at 30m is

Cy 53%

1/4 70%

1/2 76%

3/4 83%

F 90%

ref Eley pattern guide

Thanks clayman. Might have to give this a go when I get a chance

12 Gauge barrels have a wide allowance to be called 12 g so you cannot use size as a true gauge of choke size, as choke size is a % of the actual barrel measurement. which can range nominally 18.5 mm (0.73 in), can range from a tight 18.3 mm (0.72 in) to an extreme overbore of 20.3 mm (0.80 in).