Hushpower 12g Moderator/Silancer

oz gun

G'day one and all,

Any one out there have or used one of these Hushpower 12g shotguns?

How well do they work?

What brand cartridges did you use?

How loud are they?

Looking at getting the 10" Detachable moderator/silencer to put on a trusty old single barrel shotgun I have. They are £160 so would like to find out about them before spending the cash.

I'm wanting to use it for spotlighting rabbits and crows.

Any feed back would be grate.

Thanks

I have one and load my own subsonic loads (cookoff et al) they seem to sound a bit less than a standard 3 inch 410, the good part is that I can use 32g of lead instead of 19g in 410, TBH I dont use it very much and Im changing to 22 and subs. If I'm wanting to use a 12 I just use the subs without the moderator,

Guest cookoff013

G'day one and all,

Any one out there have or used one of these Hushpower 12g shotguns?

How well do they work?

What brand cartridges did you use?

How loud are they?

Looking at getting the 10" Detachable moderator/silencer to put on a trusty old single barrel shotgun I have. They are £160 so would like to find out about them before spending the cash.

I'm wanting to use it for spotlighting rabbits and crows.

Any feed back would be grate.

Thanks

G`day darling.

whilst i`ve not really been a "big" user of hushpower shotguns / moderated shotguns, i dont even have one, but i have had a few goes with one.

I have developed some subsonics for use in "hushpower / moderated" shotguns, these are 21grams / 28grams /32grams (i`m going to have a go with 36gram) loads in 12gauge. (my 32g loads are classic, infact probably better than the 21g loads and cheaper than the 28g loads.)

they are louder than nothing but quieter than something else, its cryptic because moderators can be saturated with gas and still make a bang, when i mean saturated i mean the mod can only absorb a certain amount of volume before it starts to bleed excessively out the muzzle, even gas exiting a muzzle creates a bang as well as shot breaching the sound barrier.

so the key here is to match the ammunition to the gun.

the only other stipulation i would say is to use big shot for shooting game, #5 would be the minimum i`d consider but i`d rather jump to #4 & #2, the reasons for this is simple, its so enough energy gets to the target. a subsonic #4 is like a 1500fps #6 with the #4 having more energy at 40 yards. dont be too concerned about low shotcount as they pattern tight because they are low speed, and less gas to disrupt the shotcolumn, they pattern like full with every choke combination. so dont bother messing around patterning 1000 times. a quick 2 shot pattern would tell you all you need to know.

as for shooting rabbits i`d go at least #2, but depends what range and application, for sitters any of the #4 ,#2shells would do.

my prefered game loads are 36g in #4 and #2 (1300fps) for bolting rabbits and is quite possible a very good load, (they cost more though)

if you would like more information, roughshooter on here has more experience loading and experimenting with them. i have helped alittle, way more credit should go to graham (roughshooter).

G`day darling.

whilst i`ve not really been a "big" user of hushpower shotguns / moderated shotguns, i dont even have one, but i have had a few goes with one.

I have developed some subsonics for use in "hushpower / moderated" shotguns, these are 21grams / 28grams /32grams (i`m going to have a go with 36gram) loads in 12gauge. (my 32g loads are classic, infact probably better than the 21g loads and cheaper than the 28g loads.)

they are louder than nothing but quieter than something else, its cryptic because moderators can be saturated with gas and still make a bang, when i mean saturated i mean the mod can only absorb a certain amount of volume before it starts to bleed excessively out the muzzle, even gas exiting a muzzle creates a bang as well as shot breaching the sound barrier.

so the key here is to match the ammunition to the gun.

the only other stipulation i would say is to use big shot for shooting game, #5 would be the minimum i`d consider but i`d rather jump to #4 & #2, the reasons for this is simple, its so enough energy gets to the target. a subsonic #4 is like a 1500fps #6 with the #4 having more energy at 40 yards. dont be too concerned about low shotcount as they pattern tight because they are low speed, and less gas to disrupt the shotcolumn, they pattern like full with every choke combination. so dont bother messing around patterning 1000 times. a quick 2 shot pattern would tell you all you need to know.

as for shooting rabbits i`d go at least #2, but depends what range and application, for sitters any of the #4 ,#2shells would do.

my prefered game loads are 36g in #4 and #2 (1300fps) for bolting rabbits and is quite possible a very good load, (they cost more though)

if you would like more information, roughshooter on here has more experience loading and experimenting with them. i have helped alittle, way more credit should go to graham (roughshooter).

There you have it oz gun, very wise words, but Ive never seen such a good use of the English language as louder than nothing but quieter than something else cheers cookof f013 :)

Edited by islandgun

Thanks everyone.

Still making up my mind if its worth getting one of these silencer's.

I'm missing my rifles that are back in oz. Normally the trusty old .22lr Brno is used on bunny bashing and .222 Sako for 100m plus shots on them. Also only visiting the UK (18months here) but saying that I can leave it to the old boy to play with when I head home.

I'm thinking its one of those things you get and only use it for a few weeks and forget it. But saying that it could be a good thing to stop any complaint's on shots going off at night. There's always someone out there that has to complain just to feel happy that they have stopped someone enjoying them selves.

Anyway thanks for the reply's.

Oh yes,

I do reload my own shotie shells so playing with finding the right combo of shot and powder weights is not a problem. I was more after finding out how well they work. The silencer that is.

So thanks to you Cookoff013 for your post. It's gives me a bit of a heads up on where to start with shot size.