.17hmr ammo

I use a Ruger 77/17 in .17HMR. I have used Federal and Remington 17gr V-MAX ammunition most and more recently Hornady 17gr V-MAX. None have ever shown a hint of a split in my rifle - I collect all spent cases (several thousand rounds shot over the past year). Even the CCI hollowpoints (only cartridges available for a while down my way - shot like **** in my rifle) did not split, but I only had a couple of boxes of them.

I thought a split case was a big issue problem? Just in centrefires then I assume? Wasn't it something to do with the brass getting brittle when being necked down? They can't be re tempered like a C/F round because the primer compound is put in the rim before it's necked, so it can't be heated after to relax it. At least that's what I read :lol:

I thought a split case was a big issue problem? Just in centrefires then I assume? Wasn't it something to do with the brass getting brittle when being necked down? They can't be re tempered like a C/F round because the primer compound is put in the rim before it's necked, so it can't be heated after to relax it. At least that's what I read :lol:

thats exactly what ive heard to when the neck is formed on the round the metal is work hardened.But i reckon it could also be an issue with the guns chamber there should not be enough room to allow the metal to expand excessively and allow the neck to split.As it was quoted before if it isnt effecting accuracy we should not worry to much though :angry:

The chamber must be slack enough for the round to freely slide in and out of the breech so it can't be a perfect fit, maybe that's enough room for the brass to crack. Bearing in mind the case isn't tempered properly after the necking so is brittle and also very thin, it's not going to take much of a shock to break it. As long as it's not a safety issue (the manufacturers wouldn't take that risk I wouldn't have thought) and accuracy isn't compromised by the splitting, then why worry? The cases can't be reloaded, so it doesn't matter. I'm still happy enough to buy one, and will soon with some luck. :angry:

ok nthen guys its got to be the cases ive been out today with my wmr and was trying winchester for the first time to see how they group and ive found 7 of the cases have split in.22wmr cant believe it in a brand new gun no other makes of cases have split in the wmr

• 2 weeks later...

I remember reading about this problem in a mag - the problem was found to be with cci's - they said that it wasn't a problem to carrying on using them. Where the case is "necked down," it isn't anealed (not sure on spelling) like centre fire cases are - something to do with the fact that the primer goes in to the case wet and then the case is spun to get an even distribution around the rim before drying. The anealing causes too much heat which can affect the primer.

If you get a few from the same batch, note the batch number down and give them a call - they may replace.

The chamber must be slack enough for the round to freely slide in and out of the breech so it can't be a perfect fit, maybe that's enough room for the brass to crack. Bearing in mind the case isn't tempered properly after the necking so is brittle and also very thin, it's not going to take much of a shock to break it. As long as it's not a safety issue (the manufacturers wouldn't take that risk I wouldn't have thought) and accuracy isn't compromised by the splitting, then why worry? The cases can't be reloaded, so it doesn't matter. I'm still happy enough to buy one, and will soon with some luck. :good:

I would not let this put you off buying one they are an unreal little round :lol: The damage they do to magpies and other winged vermin and rabbits has to be seen B)

• 2 months later...
Guest rabgoat

just adding my own experiences on to this subject cause i remember following this post as i was waitin on my FAC coming through,i shoot a CZ 17 HMR,,,iv'e used federal vshok,hornady vmax, cci tnt.,cci gamepoint 20gr,and i pick up 99% of my empty shells after me and the first splits iv'e noticed is from the cci game point 20gr, havn't noticed any problems with accuracy, i think the gamepoint are lethal for killing.

rabgoat,

I agree with you about the 20 grain Gamepoints. I use them all the time, and have also used Hornady, but have never had any split cases from my CZ Varmint.

Incidentally the gamepoints would need to be 'lethal for killing.'