This may seem obvious

lurcherboy

On Tuesday I bought a kilo of red chillis from a greengrocer in Canterbury. I think they are Lebanese or Syrian or from somewhere in that region, anyway, I went in to buy some hot chillis to make a sauce. The woman suggested these small red ones and said 'they are very good for sauce, yes' I had a chuckle to myself and paid £ 4-07 for my 570g of small red chillis, bade them farewell. I made my way home via the Thai food shop where I knew I could get salted black beans. When home I proceeded to slice, de-seed and finely chop the chillis. All was going well until about an hour later. My eyes were streaming as if I had been chopping spanish onions. The kids left the house and the dogs were giving the kitchen a very wide berth :good:

It is now Thursday, 22:42 and my bloody fingers are still burning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't rub my eyes, pick my nose, and worse of all, I daren't scratch my ***** :good:

So the morale of the story is, let the rottie do ALL the cooking :lol:

LB

I reckon picking the nose is the worst, especially if you have a proper go at digging for gold - the 8 second delay, burning sensation followed by the crying is unmistakable.

Incidentally, I will be growing probably about 100 chilli plants in the green house this year and will end up giving most away to my mates to get them interested in gardening. I will knock a list up for any chilli experts but invariabley all the planter tags come off the seed trays and gets a bit pot luck.

Best place to get your seeds from ebay and http://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/seeds.html (they take Paypal).

I reckon picking the nose is the worst, especially if you have a proper go at digging for gold - the 8 second delay, burning sensation followed by the crying is unmistakable.

Incidentally, I will be growing probably about 100 chilli plants in the green house this year and will end up giving most away to my mates to get them interested in gardening. I will knock a list up for any chilli experts but invariabley all the planter tags come off the seed trays and gets a bit pot luck.

Best place to get your seeds from ebay and http://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/seeds.html (they take Paypal).

Went to that link Mung and the first thing I saw was the chillis I was prepping, Cherry Bombs/HOT

Do your chilli plants take much upkeep?

LB

Went to that link Mung and the first thing I saw was the chillis I was prepping, Cherry Bombs/HOT

LB

Nope **** all - that is the joy of my kind of gardening.

I used to grow thousands of plants each year and I mean thousands - don't ask me why, it is a small greenhouse I have but I would have seed trays in the greenhouse, on window cills, in the shed and out in at least 4 cold frames. I think it is the whole "yes those plants really do grow on trees" mindset and for pennies, some dirt and time I would have a garden in bloom, pots everywhere and hanging baskets I should have entered for Chelsea. Anyhows, now with 3 kids I ain't got the time, so I just grow Marrigolds and Chillis - low maintenance and a piece of **** to grow.

Chillis - once the blighters pop up, into a standard tomato grow bag and boomshanka. Chuck a marrigold in for good measure to keep the white fly off.

I will stick you down for a selection.

Can't wait to see what the twilight one comes out like - looks like an xmas tree stuffed full of multicoloured lights.

PS.

The ones you were playing with were 6000 scoville units - did you see what the one above was - 350,000 scoville units. Even Ray Mears could start a fire with that.

LB

Nope **** all - that is the joy of my kind of gardening.

I used to grow thousands of plants each year and I mean thousands - don't ask me why, it is a small greenhouse I have but I would have seed trays in the greenhouse, on window cills, in the shed and out in at least 4 cold frames. I think it is the whole "yes those plants really do grow on trees" mindset and for pennies, some dirt and time I would have a garden in bloom, pots everywhere and hanging baskets I should have entered for Chelsea. Anyhows, now with 3 kids I ain't got the time, so I just grow Marrigolds and Chillis - low maintenance and a piece of **** to grow.

Chillis - once the blighters pop up, into a standard tomato grow bag and boomshanka. Chuck a marrigold in for good measure to keep the white fly off.

I will stick you down for a selection.

Can't wait to see what the twilight one comes out like - looks like an xmas tree stuffed full of multicoloured lights.

Please do Mung :good:

I am a chilli nut.

There is no cure, only prevention, when you pass up the schoville scale.

Washing with a "stainless" soap will help, but capsicum easily passes the dermis and once it does you are in for a rough ride until it passes.

Anything under 1mil schoville is pure pussy fodder, btw. If you want "spicy" look at Blairs 12am, or if you want generally palletable, try "devils blood" - a good all round sauce :)

Just ordered some seed's from the Devon farm link Thanks for that Mungler.

Me too, thanks Mungler.

I bought a pack each of Twilight, Prarie Fire and Thai Dragon.

I've grown quite a lot of Cayenne Chilli's in the past but I really like the idea of a potted chilli bush for my kitchen window rather than a plant that dies off at the end of the summer.

I'll need to get them planted ASAP.

Cheers,

Mark.

Yep you need to get them out - my tip is to put them into celled seed trays - a quick spray with water so the compost is damp (not wet) and then wrap them up completely in about 6 layers of clingfilm and leave them on the kitchen window cill.

Chillis take forever to pop up and are very succeptible to temperature. I have about half a dozen 100 cell trays with chilli seeds in and they have been going for 2 weeks so far with no sign of action.

I stuck some in a heated propagator as well and they ain't performing as yet either.

The old marrigolds are performing as ever - easy stuff - the best I managed from marrigolds was a very hot spring a few years back - clingfilm treatment in a hot upstairs room in front of a sunny window and they were out in under 36 hours.

Will keep you posted on progress - but get em out and keep em warm.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay chaps, the chillis are between 2" and 4" now.

I have grown probably about 400 plants over about 14 different varieties.

If anyone wants any PM me - I have no idea how I will transport them, but might have some small plant plastic postal pods from a load of petunia surfinias I bought off ebay last year and think have kept.

Twilight (not many left under heavy demand)

Jalapeno (lots of)

Hungarian wax

Prairie fire

Santa fe grande

Poblano

Cayenne (lots of)

Antillias carribean

Big Sun Habanero

Pinientos de padron

Cherry bomb

Thai hot (not looking too promising these)

I got most of my seeds from the South Devon chilli farm so take a gander at their webby for details and the botty burn scale of each chilli.

The chillis are best grown on in normal compost on a hot window cill or glass house in say a 3 or 4 inch pot (taking you to the end of June) and when they get big and fill the pot out transplant to a box standard tomato grow bag and boom shanka.

• 2 months later...

:lol: cheers for that, just ordered about £20 worth (love me chillies :lol::good::lol::yes: