Peas, can I expect birds coming in soon?

Eklind

Hi guys!

I am from Sweden and pretty new to pigeon hunting, started last season but it I like it, a lot of fun and you get nice meat to the table and you help the farmers out. I have got two new fields to hunt on, both with peas and they started to get mature. But I don't see a lot of pigeons feeding there at the moment, when can I expect them to feed? I saw three there this afternoon, maybe more will come in the next few days? Or should I look for other crops? I post som pics of the fields and the crops.

Best regards

Carl

Is there a large population of pigeons in the area?

That crop looks to be over mature. If there are pigeons soon after harvest might be a good time as there may well be a lot of spillage of peas.

Not the whole fields are mature, mostly out on the edges. There is a lot of pigeons all over the lands where I live, a lot of farmers everywhere. But they have been eating oat, barley and also rapeseed as I shot a few birds last week. The crops are a few weeks late here in Sweden due to a cold and wet summer. The farmers have started to harvest barley and rapeseed at the moment.

Edited by Eklind

I am currently shooting a lot over fodder peas that will be harvested soon and the pigeons are all over them.

Mostly feeding first thing in the morning and late afternoon into the evening.

The best thing to do is watch the fields and see if the pigeons are visiting.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

I am currently shooting a lot over fodder peas that will be harvested soon and the pigeons are all over them.

Mostly feeding first thing in the morning and late afternoon into the evening.

The best thing to do is watch the fields and see if the pigeons are visiting.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

I will give it a try on wednesday afternoon. I started to work today but I might be able to take the car out there on my lunch to check it out. Thanks for the tip!!

The pigeon will almost certainly prefer rape seed over peas once the rape has been harvested .

Your peas look like harvest peas , the drier they get the more will fall out onto the ground and once harvested may attract good numbers of pigeon , on the other hand they may not.

It's really just a case of keeping a eye out on all the fields and shoot it when good numbers are present.

The pigeon will almost certainly prefer rape seed over peas once the rape has been harvested .

Your peas look like harvest peas , the drier they get the more will fall out onto the ground and once harvested may attract good numbers of pigeon , on the other hand they may not.

It's really just a case of keeping a eye out on all the fields and shoot it when good numbers are present.

Thanks for the reply, will keep an eye on the fields