.22LR vs .17HMR – Paper Target and Balloon

sandersj89

So yes the .22 rim is LEGAL for FOX, as it says not SOLE USE FOR FOX.

kip270

I see that you you have actually read the Firearms law, but on page 82, it catagorically states that .22 rimfire is NOT allowed for foxes as good reason for having an FAC. It may be different interpretations by different FEO'S, but my FAC's have always fox as one of the uses for my .243 and the .22 rimmie for vermin(Even the classification of fox/vermin is vague)

What do you mean standard .22 subs can be 3"-4" out, your having a laugh, if that was the case i wouldn't shoot one. Once zeroed my rimmy is spot on all the time

It is a well know fact, that .22 subs are inherently inconsistant in performance, especially at longer ranges. I have shot thousands of rounds over the years (I get through at least a 1000 every year) and under normal field conditions with a 50-60 zero, I normally don't have any problems, BUT still ocassionally miss a rabbit's head by 3-4 inch, I can see the ground impact and with the second shot, nail it.

At 100yds , with a 10mph cross wind, you get just over 3" deflection which doesn't help either.

Try reading through this:- 22lr balistics

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kip270

I see that you you have actually read the Firearms law, but on page 82, it catagorically states that .22 rimfire is NOT allowed for foxes as good reason for having an FAC. It may be different interpretations by different FEO'S, but my FAC's have always fox as one of the uses for my .243 and the .22 rimmie for vermin(Even the classification of fox/vermin is vague)

What do you mean standard .22 subs can be 3"-4" out, your having a laugh, if that was the case i wouldn't shoot one. Once zeroed my rimmy is spot on all the time

It is a well know fact, that .22 subs are inherently inconsistant in performance, especially at longer ranges. I have shot thousands of rounds over the years (I get through at least a 1000 every year) and under normal field conditions with a 50-60 zero, I normally don't have any problems, BUT still ocassionally miss a rabbit's head by 3-4 inch, I can see the ground impact and with the second shot, nail it.

At 100yds , with a 10mph cross wind, you get just over 3" deflection which doesn't help either.

Exactly, not GOOD reason for a FAC but in the same way people have .270 with fox while stalking deer, people have the same for rf's. The fact of the matter is rf's are more than suitable for foxes when the shooter uses discretion (look at all the photo's we set on PW from .22lr's and .17hmrs esp) and if a shooter is not capable of deploying such discretion then well he shouldn't have a FAC anyway.

kip270

Thats what i said, read my post again, NOT FOR SOLE USE FOR FOX

.22 Rimfire is generally too low-powered to be used against fox except at short range, but may reasonably be permitted for use against such quarry in certain circumstances

So Yes .22rim is LEGAL for FOX :lol:

DO you want a prize for getting through a 1000 rnds in a year :good::yes:

If my rimmy was that bad i would sell it, but it's not and i put more rounds than that through mine but who cares.

I know all i need to about ballistics thanks anyway :lol::P:no:

The law states the following with regard to Fox and .22LR.

This is taken from the 2002 Home Office Guidance.

Fox

13.23 Common rifle cartridges considered

suitable for the shooting of foxes range from

.17 Remington, and .22 Hornet to .22 -250

and .220 Swift, though there is a wide range

of suitable similar calibres commercially

available. In windy areas, where heavier bullets

aid accurate shooting, or if applicants wish to

use one rifle for shooting both deer and foxes

they may choose a rifle in 6mm (.243/.244) or

6.5mm (.264) calibre. .22 Rimfire is generally

too low-powered to be used against fox