Weighing powder??

Ive just knocked up 50 rounds for the AR :good:

I had thought while weighing the powder , just how accurate do i need to be?

I always get it on the nose ,but would .01 either way make any difference?

I know i could run some out to try but i'm to lazy for that :P:D

So i am asking you guys :lol::lol:

I have been loading my own for a few years now, - 22-250 + 243. I personally would not be able to tell the difference between 2 rounds with +/- .01 grain between them. A chronograph would more than likely register the difference.

I wonder about how critical it is since I experimented. I weighed a load on one set of scales and transferred it to another. Different weight. So I weighed it on a digital set. Different again. Back to the original scales, not the same as first weighed.

Conclusion? Even exact weights aren't accurate. I'd be interested in someone that can point me in the direction of proper accuracy.

Dave

I don't reload so it's not from experience with this kind of thing, however when you decant powder (or anything) from one vessel to another and so on, small amounts of it will be left behind.

Not sure if you are talking about 0.1grain or 0.01grain - 0.01grain is 6 1000ths of a gram - easily lost decanting or sticking to the container that you can't see it.

I wonder about how critical it is since I experimented. I weighed a load on one set of scales and transferred it to another. Different weight. So I weighed it on a digital set. Different again. Back to the original scales, not the same as first weighed.

Conclusion? Even exact weights aren't accurate. I'd be interested in someone that can point me in the direction of proper accuracy.

Dave

The secret is not to worry about the actual weight but keep to a consistent weight.

I have digital and balance scales and they all weigh the same - because I set them all to the same weight.

I made a set of check weights out of brass (by using a very expensive set of Chemists scales) but you can buy check weights. In fact some scales come with them eg RCBS 10-10.

Just use this weight to set all your scales before use. It matters not if you are 10 grains out at least all your loads will be based on the same basic weight.

BUT don't suggest your load to any one else - they will spend for ever trying to get 55 grains of N140 into a 308 case. :good:

I did actually mean 0.01 of a grain :lol: for instance i use 23.50 grains of powder in my fav load :good: so 23.49 or 23.51 is unacceptable to me only 23.50 will do :good:

However i did mean .2 of a grain is very noticeable in working up a load :good:

So are we saying that .1 of a grain is an acceptable margin ?? it sounds like a lot to me :good:

Sussex lad

you cant measure to 1/100th of a grain as the powder grains are bigger than that unless you have sifted through WW748 and are only using the smallest :good:

Dave

Yes I meant 10 grains.

It matters little what weight you show when loading your case what matters is that you can replicate it and that it as per the previous load. So 43.6 grains actual may show as 56.3 grains on your scales but it matters little except to confuse.

The point I am making is your scales are NEVER accurate to actuality only to the setting you provide. That setting in amount of grains is irrelevant so long as you always use it as your base figure.

In reality your test weight of say 500 grains will be within a grain or two of actuality and so your scales will be reasonable to show the starting load from a manual but will never be identical to another scale except by coincidence.

I did actually mean 0.01 of a grain :lol: for instance i use 23.50 grains of powder in my fav load :good: so 23.49 or 23.51 is unacceptable to me only 23.50 will do :good:

However i did mean .2 of a grain is very noticeable in working up a load :good:

So are we saying that .1 of a grain is an acceptable margin ?? it sounds like a lot to me :good:

Chances are you're loading .49 and .51 already.

.1gn isn't a problem but if you get up above max load examine the case/primer after firing. I work up a load using .1 increments and then play with bullet seating. I wouldn't say as I've noticed .2 being much different but maybe that's down to the powder. I use Viht 140 and 160 for .243 and 133 for .223.

Dave

Chances are you're loading .49 and .51 already.

Totally Dave :good::good:

But by making sure the scales read 23.50 for every load ( which can take some messing, some times ) i keep it as consistent as possible.

I've only reloading for a 6ish months , so thanks again for all the help guys :good:

I use a RCBS powder thrower and i check it is throwing the correct amount of powder 5 times before i load up 10 rounds then check it again on the scales and load another 10 rounds, then check the next 5 and so on.

Don't think i can be bothered weighing every throw of powder :good: