Farm pond question

walshie

Didn't really know which section to put this in.

I had a quick fish of my pond for about half an hour yesterday and today as I had some maggots left over from the other day.

I caught a few tiny rudd, and a small tench but the rudd were a very odd colour. Black on their backs, then bright copper colour down their flanks, then silver on their bellies. They had the red fins and upturned mouths a rudd would normally have.

Is there a way of telling if these are this year's fry or just stunted ones from last year/year before?

I'm thinking of putting some perch in there to eat these, but of course the perch will eat anything else I put in there later too.

Another idea is to net the pond to see exactly what's in there. Any idea how much that sort of thing would cost? It's about 1/4 acre.

Do not know how to age them , but rudd are prone to becoming stunted if there are too many in the pond .

Adding perch is a good idea as they will predate on the fry and small fish leaving the bigger ones alone , plus you may end up with some very large perch to fish for !

There is a lot. i've seen a shoal of over a hundred all the same size. I'm just worried putting perch in that they'll grow big enough to eat the tench (it was only about 4-6 ounces)

There is a lot. i've seen a shoal of over a hundred all the same size. I'm just worried putting perch in that they'll grow big enough to eat the tench (it was only about 4-6 ounces)

I would be very surprised if the perch would eat the tench they would be pre occupied with the fry .

Dave that's what makes Rudd that colour, their own camo the Rudd in my garden pond colour the same. difficult to see from above, black almost, with bronze flanks then very silver underside difficult to see by predators from below. Rudd from muddy water tend to have text book Rudd colours, and from experience only carry far more weight. I'll bet there are a few solitary big uns in your water up to 2lb try fly or larger surface baits

Edited by throttlemonkey

Dave that's what makes Rudd that colour, their own camo the Rudd in my garden pond colour the same. difficult to see from above, black almost, with bronze flanks then very silver underside difficult to see by predators from below. Rudd from muddy water tend to have text book Rudd colours, and from experience only carry far more weight. I'll bet there are a few solitary big uns in your water up to 2lb try fly or larger surface baits

I've seen stuff moving on the surface, but can't see how big they are. Floating crust it is then. :good:

I've no idea. It's fed by a stream , so I wouldn't be surprised, but I don't want to catch a million 1/2oz rudd to find out they're the only things in there. I think netting might be the answer, but not if it's mega bucks.

This is what it looks like.

post-50882-0-01850100-1443209613_thumb.jpg