More IT help please

Paul in North Lincs.

I have just got my PC back from the shop for repairs, however they seem to have somehow removed my sound drivers, when they cloned my Hard drive, as now my speakers do not work, and when I try to play sample music it comes up as:- :good:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly."

As **** law would have it I seem to have misplaced my original driver disks for this and wondered if anyone had a link that could help me out..

Gripped.......just got 'Night & Day Ratting with th Yorkshire Ratters' and Lurcher mania' on DVD and can watch it......but can hear nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately its 'Daddy Day Care' today...but 'Nik Junior' will keep the bairnes quiet for an hour or two...but I cant manage another epsiode of Dora The Explorer :good:

HELP

cheers

What version of windows is it? If its XP it would have to be a fairly esoteric sound card for windows to not have a default driver which would work, and as has been said we'd need to know which it was to help with a driver for it.

At the back, where you plug in the speakers, are they coloured sockets about half way up and to the left hand side of the computer, or are they in a horizontal line at the back lower down in one of the expansion slots?

Right click my computer, select the Hardware tab and then click Device Manager.

In the window that pops up there will be a list of devices attached to your computer, if there is anything wrong with one of the devices it will be indicated with a little yellow warning triangle.

Come down the list to towards the bottom, and click on the little + symbol next to "Sound, video and game controllers". Copy what you have there, better still post a screenshot if you can (alt+print screen then paste into MS Paint then save it).

My guess is its a built in sound chip on a motherboard and windows hasn't a clue which drivers to use. Probably crystal sound, Advance audio or ESS chipset.

Have a look at http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/moboid1.html to help identify the motherboard and let me know and I can probably help.