patterning some Muller chokes

Guest stevo

hope you are not putting more than 28g 6s through your mullers for driven days as that's as big as you can go so muller says

this is a quote from jimmy muller himself , when he was asked about this very thing .

not that I'm worried , mine are solely for clays ONLY ,

Jimmy Muller

Post subject: Re: Largest shot size through Muller's

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:11 pm

Crown Grade

birdshooter....your absolutely correct, heres the deal....It all depends on which choke it is and without me having to go thru extensive, confusing listings, I just now tell people #6 is safe. YES....in most of my Featherlites you can safely shoot #4's with awesome results, BUT....I certainly would not recommend shooting #4's thru an Optima U4 for example! So, if you want to shoot anything larger than #6 I would "suggest" you use our Waterfowl/Hunting choke tubes.

Heres the other reason....IF I tell people that #4's are safe, someone out there will then decide for themselves that #2's and #1's are safe too.

Thats all. It is smarter, better and safer!

I had a quote for Jimmy Muller himself when I sent him photos of the chips/damage to the ceramic coating that appeared on the inner edge of my Mullers - he said I'd abused them !!!!

They do throw good patterns, but - they shoot loose unless you really tighten them well using a tapered choke key & if you have a sneaky look at other peoples at shooting grounds you'll see the damage to ceramic coating on the inner edge ;)

Edited by V8 90

I had a quote for Jimmy Muller himself when I sent him photos of the chips/damage to the ceramic coating that appeared on the inner edge of my Mullers - he said I'd abused them !!!!

They do throw good patterns, but - they shoot loose unless you really tighten them well using a tapered choke key & if you have a sneaky look at other peoples at shooting grounds you'll see the damage to ceramic coating on the inner edge ;)

yeah I noticed that on the ones I borrowed norm , its little chips in the coating , that said look how much hammer we give our clay guns , I have shot around 9 K plus through my CG since june/july

I know what you mean mate but what causes it ? I certainly didn't abuse mind as Jim stated I had !

Interesting the pattern you got from the U4, that's as tight as they go - I think it's similar to a 3/4 choke.

100% agree norm , when I got home and had a good look at the U4 pattern , don't seem that tight to me , that said the shell used would have a impact , I think the eley superb open quite quick ,

but I bet if you used a decent trap shell , for instance a Hull cartridge Pro 0ne DTL 300 it would be half that size . . of course I'm only guessing at this point but I wold not be surprized .

100% agree norm , when I got home and had a good look at the U4 pattern , don't seem that tight to me , that said the shell used would have a impact , I think the eley superb open quite quick ,

but I bet if you used a decent trap shell , for instance a Hull cartridge Pro 0ne DTL 300 it would be half that size . . of course I'm only guessing at this point but I wold not be surprized .

Providing the circle is 30" and the stated distance of 35 yards measured accurately, I'd say considering there are only about 15 pellets outside the circle then it is in fact a good, tight pattern. I don't believe Superbs are particularly known for opening up quick and I would bet against anything (clay shell wise) halving that pattern at that distance.

Providing the circle is 30" and the stated distance of 35 yards measured accurately, I'd say considering there are only about 15 pellets outside the circle then it is in fact a good, tight pattern. I don't believe Superbs are particularly known for opening up quick and I would bet against anything (clay shell wise) halving that pattern at that distance.

yep you could very well be right , yes it is a 30" circle and I used me range finder , don't get me wrong I do think its a great pattern but like norm I thought it would have been tighter , especially when you consider that the U4 is designed to be optimum at 60 yrds

You should see the pattern of the top barrel of my DT10 @ 36 yards with a Trap Oro 24g :whistling:

haha forget looking at it mate , that's why I wanted to know if your shooting Nottingham at weekend , I want to have a go with it !!