Rough Shooting Dog Role

chasechicken

Hi all,

I've done a little rough shooting with my springer. He's great at flushing and will follow up the shot bird.

We're working on retrieval.

I just wonder... does anyone allow their dog to finish off an injured bird or would you want it to be brought over for you to finish off? I only ask because I hit a pheasant the other day and my dog, before I figured what was going on, picked it up by the neck and shook it. No real damage to the bird.. but don't want to encourage biting....

We also beat for a couple of shoots so also worried what the dog might do if he's not fully reined in (so far so good though..)

I certainly welcome the bird being dispatched immediately, and if it's a runner the dog is much more likely to get to it than I, but........

Thoughts?

It is the last thing on earth I would want my dog doing .

I cant quite understand why you are " working on retrieval " whilst shooting live quarry it is something that should be sorted before the dog is taken shooting proper .

I think it sound like your training needs to go back several steps before the dog is ruined.

No the dog should not damage the game at all, where is the line drawn in the dogs mind that because it's alive it can shake or crunch if but if it's dead it can't?

It might be worth considering taking a few steps back, its possible you'll do a lifetimes harm in the dogs training by doing too much too soon, how old is the dog?

Where are you based? I am sure there will be a recommendation from someone on here for a trainer in your area that can give a lesson or two.

Just back off a little and slow her work down to just training.

Dog men are great at telling you you've ruined a dog.

Just go back to having a dog in training.

I guess he's about 12 to 18 months.

You've got a decade of shooting with him ,let the puppy grow into a dog.

What would you do with a wriggling and pecking dummy.

John.