Stevens single shot 12g

white van man

I have acquired a J Stevens arms&tool co single shot 12g with ejector, which has been passed down a family for many years.

I believe it to be pre WW1, it's in good sound condition and the bore although showing some wear is still in good nick.

Would obviously look better re oiled and the metalwork blued or would I be spoiling it.

Cheers Steve

• 2 months later...

I am a east Suffolkian. to and have the same gun in similar condition handed down to me. Was my granddads and helped feed the family through 2 world wars.

Done bit of research and dated mine to 1905/6. If only that gun could talk.

Leave as is! Patina looks great and in keeping with age! Lovely piece of family history. Very light, full choked and kicks hard!

Use mine as walk about gun on same farms my dad and granddad shot over for many years.

Great buzz and sense of attachment to that land and gun.My late dad tought me to shoot with it as a boy. First pigeon at 14.In his excitement and praise him getting 2 wellies full of water wading through

flooded stream to get it. My next shot missing the bird but bringing a branch down on our heads and him cursing me. Still shoot pigeons from that spot now and on the anniversary of his death fire a

single shot from a box of old eley grand Prix paper carts he had many years ago.

Told it's worth very little! But in memories it's priceless! Never to be sold!

NB