saftey concern

billy boy 12g

hello all,

sorry if this has been covered before, I'm hoping to do some crow shooting over next week as I have seen the there numbers building on one of my permissions, the problem lies that where the crows are feeding the only place where I could put I hide is facing towards a row of houses they are a good 5/600m away but as I'm new to the sport and this will be my first outing on live quarry with a shotgun I'm unsure of the safe distance. the cartridge I will be using is 32g 5's

thanks in advance for the help

billy

People who know about shotguns may be confident that there is no real danger, if those houses are indeed 500-600 yards away. BUT, would the inhabitants know that?

Suppose one of them happens to turn a pair of binoculars in your direction, and sees a gun pointing straight at his house. Will he know about the safe fallout zone for shotgun pellets? Will he be able to tell that you are not using a big centre-fire rifle? If he phones the police, would the local bobby know enough to be sure you are not endangering lives?

If it was just one house, you could go and have a chat with the occupants, but that might not be so easy with a whole row of houses.

As others have said, best avoid shooting towards those houses.

It's not just the shot that's a problem sometimes its the noise, and firing towards the properties could provoke a little concern too.

As UD mentions try shooting away from the houses.

hopefully they should be use to loud bangs as it a military training area and at the other side of the permission is a rough shoot

I've always worked on 220 yds as the max shot range and allowed up to 50yds more for wind, so work on 270 yds to boundaries usually, but always better to shoot away if possible. At 500 to 600yds there's no risk to anyone except perhaps of noise nuisance. If it was just a few houses, I'd be tempted to knock on a few doors explaining that on such and such a day it might get a bit noisy and explain what you'll be up to. Always better to get people on side if possible.