Broken Stock

elmstone

Went out at the weekend with the new sillo socks and hydra flappers. Set-up right under the flights line between t fields of rape which I know they are feeding on but the rape in too high decoy (they are feeding off the fringes). After 1 hour no shots fired as the birds where jinking as soon as they saw my pattern.

Took the rotary down and within 15 mins had my first bird land directly in the middle of decoys. It was a steady afternoon with more birds missed that shot. (Total of 20 birds for an afternoons work). Maybe the hydra flapper will work better in a stronger wind. :angry:

Anyway packing up and marching back to my car heavily laden with all the kit, I slipped over on a bramble root and I don’t know how but landed on my back (My gun was in a slip across my back) . I heard a loud crack of wood splitting. I though it was a branch so I carried on home.

At home cleaned my shotgun as usual but noticed a hairline split in the stock :lol: , the split starts from the trigger guard almost splitting the stock in half. The split also appear on the top starting at the finish of the safety but the crack appear to be spilt over a few grains of wood

I would not be too bother but is has left a small gap next to the sideplates, which will allow dirt to enter the trigger mechanism. And I am sure will cause further damage.

Can it be repaired or I am look at a new stock ? Any advise about getting this repaired would be appreciated.

Bettinsoli Diamond line sporter 12g O/U

I cannot even find a bettinsoli web site.

My Rizzini has a crack in the pistol grip, many people say that this is a difficult area to repair. However, I have fired many, many shots through it since purchase, and the crack has not widened or gotten any bigger. I would go with the above advice and take the gun to a gunsmith. If the stock cannot be repaired, you may still be able to keep on shooting with it, but keep an eye on the crack and make sure it does not migrate.

Good luck

Duster

You need a new stock.

When you have seen the damage an action tang can do to a cheek you would never consider using a gun with a broken stock. The possible injuries are just not worth while.

PLEASE do not use your gun again but claim off your insurance for a replacement stock.

or try a bench joiner like me any split timber is easy to repair will have to get a re varnish. but i do know a bettinsoli dealer if u have to get a new stock let me know and i will get u a good price as u are local.

I had a crack in some wood (wasn't a stock, though). I repaired it using super glue; yeah, I know, sounds difficult.

The super glue I use is by a manufacturere called Pacer. They make many different types and this particular type is very thin and runny; you can hold the split together and just run it down the inside of the crack. It's thin enough to penertrate the thin crack and glue it.

But I would suggest that this is a last resort, the "I've got nothing to loose" time! Your stock will more and likely need sanding and re-finishing afterwards.

"I've got nothing to loose" time!

Other than an eye !

The other alternative is to break the stock and use wood glue to fix it back together holding it in a clamp where necessary. White PVA is very strong stuff.

But with either PVA or the superglue method I'm assuming your a competent DIY man! I've built model aircraft and even some of my own furniture (not 'flat pak' stuff either!) so I'm not new to working with wood.

I wish you luck. Personally, despite others saying 'keep an eye on it', I wouldn't want to shoot with a split in the stock. I'd always wonder if the next recoil will split it good and put a big splinter in my shoulder.

But all the above I mentioned is what I'd feel comfortable with, and doing myself. If you're neither of these it may be best to seek professional help.

Good luck

I don't want to go on about this but..............

Gunstocks have their grain running from end to end so if a stock cracks the crack is in line with the barrels. Should the wood actually break under firing recoil the action tang and some splintered wood can easily come rearwards and remove a section of your face. This isn't a 'It might never happen' scenario it has happened to a greater or lesser extent on many occasions and is usually due to ignorance of the fault or repairs on an item that has insufficient wood to effect a repair to withstand the forces put upon it.

Yes, a repair may well work dependent on where the crack split etc is but I would NEVER suggest anyone using or repairing a stock that is split or cracked 'Just in case' - having already lost my master eye I know only too well the difficulties that such a loss will place on someone who shoots.

as i have been a joiner for years i can bet my life that if i was to repair it it would not crack down the same line but wood is my trade and proberly know more than a gun smith when it comes to wood put some pics up let me see them cracks. :good::lol:

having already lost my master eye I know only too well the difficulties that such a loss will place on someone who shoots.

i am sorry to hear that.

i nearly lost my master eye by pulling a broken rake handle out put both feet on the rake and pulled straight had to have splinters removed from my eye not good.

Went out at the weekend with the new sillo socks and hydra flappers. Set-up right under the flights line between t fields of rape which I know they are feeding on but the rape in too high decoy (they are feeding off the fringes). After 1 hour no shots fired as the birds where jinking as soon as they saw my pattern.

Took the rotary down and within 15 mins had my first bird land directly in the middle of decoys. It was a steady afternoon with more birds missed that shot. (Total of 20 birds for an afternoons work). Maybe the hydra flapper will work better in a stronger wind. :lol:

Anyway packing up and marching back to my car heavily laden with all the kit, I slipped over on a bramble root and I don’t know how but landed on my back (My gun was in a slip across my back) . I heard a loud crack of wood splitting. I though it was a branch so I carried on home.

At home cleaned my shotgun as usual but noticed a hairline split in the stock :lol: , the split starts from the trigger guard almost splitting the stock in half. The split also appear on the top starting at the finish of the safety but the crack appear to be spilt over a few grains of wood

I would not be too bother but is has left a small gap next to the sideplates, which will allow dirt to enter the trigger mechanism. And I am sure will cause further damage.

Can it be repaired or I am look at a new stock ? Any advise about getting this repaired would be appreciated.

Bettinsoli Diamond line sporter 12g O/U

I cannot even find a bettinsoli web site.

only yesterday I scrapped my backup betsy for the same reason.

ruag ammotec

01579 362319

the stocks are expensive and need fitting

The trouble with gunstock repairs is oil in the wood ******* the glue :good:

quite correct best to store all guns stock up bettinsoly's are easy to crack and oil doesn't help