PW Team at Burnt Norton, Cotswolds Escarpment

OJW

Here is my footage from our day in the Cotswolds. My shooting wasn't up to scratch but it was made up for by the high quality of the rest of the teams! I witnessed some truly brilliant shooting and had the most memorable day of the season. Thank you SNS, SABS, THE GOOD LADY, JDOG, PIGEON CONTROLLER AND LLOYDI73. I will save further comment for SABS write up thread!

Drive 1

This drive saw guns pegged along the base of an old quarry; birds were pushed out off the top of a steep bank above the middle of the line. I was peg No 7 and above most of the guns at the end of the line. To my right was a steep slope down to the base of the quarry and I quickly realised I’m not fond of heights. Only two birds came my way and I missed both, I heavily lament not having the second barrel at the later of the two.

Drive 2

What a fun drive, unfortunately it began as I was just about to go to the loo and having run back to my peg you can hear me doing up my flies just before firing my first shot! I’ve had to ask myself why the hell I let some of these birds go over my peg, instead going for far crossers over my neighbours (and missing the majority). The neighbouring gun (SABS) had some great shots and I slowed one down in the film, which I have included.

Drive 3

This was an incredible drive that saw the guns stood along a muddy track in thick woodland under very tall trees. I was pleased with a couple I took out to the left on this drive and enjoyed myself immensely.

Drive 4

To see the views from this drive, please go to my Twitter account @muddypeg as they were truly stunning. I was pegged in such a way that most of the birds I was shooting at were coming back. For what ever reason I wasn’t bringing them down cleanly and had them picked by two pickers up from the end of the wood near the pen. The final clips of this drive are of a pheasant breaking out and flying high well over the line of guns, as several guns miss it, Jdog brings it down, shooting it miles out behind the line. I’ve never seen a shot like it, however the GoPro hasn’t picked it up so well despite me slowing it down.

Conclusion

All in all I wasn’t happy with my shooting, however the quality of the day could not be beaten. The host was absolutely fantastic and led a large and well equipped beating team. The drives all showed not only lots of birds but very high quality ones. I can’t wait to come back and shoot here again with the team. The local area is also beautiful.

Edited by OJW

Great video Ollie, It was I who was your neighbour to your right and it was one of my birds you slowed down in your video at the end of the 2nd drive ;)

I can only agree with you on the quality of the birds and the day and join you in your praise for everyone involved in the day.

SNS, yes please for next year ;):good:

Great video Ollie, It was I who was your neighbour to your right and it was one of my birds you slowed down in your video at the end of the 2nd drive ;)

Ollie - I can't believe I shot one of the birds of the day on this drive and you were facing the wrong bl**dy way to film it !

Only joking, great footage. Really shows the day off well. Shame you got JDogs outstanding pheasant but not his naughty early pigeon.....

I can only agree with you on the quality of the birds and the day and join you in your praise for everyone involved in the day.

SNS, yes please for next year ;):good:

SABS, sorry for the typo, as you know from our PM's I knew it was you, in the haste of the write up I got confused with user names!