. 243 Hornaday 58 grain superformance

Guest stevo

Since picking up my new Sako 85 in ,243

I posted about using the Honaday 58 grn , well I have had a few people asking about the accuracy of a light fast round in .243 .

specs on the box say 3975 fps and with a 200 yard zero they will be 3.2" low at 300 yards .

I have to say personally I'm blown away by them , they shoot better and flatter than my .220 swift but with a LOT more punch ,

to cut long story short , I picked up rifle on Tuesday this week and gave it a kwik zero ,

and today I had a couple of hrs spare so I thought I would fine tune it and at the same time see what the rifle and chosen ammo is capable of .

your see on the target a three shot group , first shot was a sighting shot from when I done my quick zero on Tuesday , the second and third was after my adjustment , when I was done I gave it just one more click to the left and she's bang on the money ,

I must point out the rifle is straight off the shelf , NO adjustments have been made what so ever , I may adjust the trigger a tad , but that will be all I do ..............need to do .

stevo

target

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/nso56aonlvp4hpo/AAA5l0PmaANXWaUZjwWz3Mqxa

Edited by stevo

I use Winchester 58grn and Norma 75grn both shoot 1/2 inch groups..

The Winchester absolutely smashes foxes...the Norma also destroys them..

I also use federal 100grn soft point on roe...

For me the 243 is a purfect all rounder for my needs, very little recoil and just the purfect fox caliber in my opinion

I use Winchester 58grn and Norma 75grn both shoot 1/2 inch groups..

The Winchester absolutely smashes foxes...the Norma also destroys them..

I also use federal 100grn soft point on roe...

For me the 243 is a purfect all rounder for my needs, very little recoil and just the purfect fox caliber in my opinion

Same combination as me, works well in my rifle and to swap from the 58grn upto the 100grn is 6 clicks up and 4 right so nice and uncomplicated.

I run 75gr BT in my 243 also 90 gr berger for on the range and 100 gr soft point for roe all home loads and the best part about it i was lucky no matter what i put in they all group within 1/2 inch at 100yds

so no need to alter the zero..for the different loads..

Thats great to know lads your all getting same sort of results . Its been a long time since my last .243 and a sort of forgotten how good a roumd it is . I have seen some of the norma 75 grn in the shop so i rekon i might give them a go next .

Thanks for your input chaps .

Stevo

Is there any point in re-loading when you can buy off the shelf ammo like this?

I use Hornady Superformance in .204. They do it in 32g and 40g. Pretty much bullet on bullet if I do my bit. About a £ a pop which isn't too bad.

You know what i have been having the same thoughts . If i was doing comps then yes . But for the foxes and deer im going to shoot . If i do a box a month over the year ive done well . As im not into blatting 500 yrd crows .

Is there any point in re-loading when you can buy off the shelf ammo like this?

I use Hornady Superformance in .204. They do it in 32g and 40g. Pretty much bullet on bullet if I do my bit. About a £ a pop which isn't too bad.

I'm loading .204 for around 35p and the 32grn are extremely accurate. I use a few hundred each year so its most definitely worth it. I only use a small amount of .243 in comparison so I buy factory.

You know what i have been having the same thoughts . If i was doing comps then yes . But for the foxes and deer im going to shoot . If i do a box a month over the year ive done well . As im not into blatting 500 yrd crows .

Would you use Superformance on deer stevo?

I shot a crow yesterday out to 304 paces and a few other closer ones plus a squirrel at about 50 yards. I only found half the squizzer. :rolleyes:

I'm loading .204 for around 35p and the 32grn are extremely accurate. I use a few hundred each year so its most definitely worth it. I only use a small amount of .243 in comparison so I buy factory.

What are you loading? Do you have any preference for brass?

I shot a crow yesterday out to 304 paces and a few other closer ones plus a squirrel at about 50 yards. I only found half the squizzer.

Errrrrmmm if I could get them in 95 or 100 grn then yes , but after seeing what I have seen so far they would be way too much for muntys and maybe roe , but like I say if the done the in the 95-100 grain then I reckon they would be spot on for fallow , how ever at this point I'm just guessing as I have only used them in 58 grn so rightly or wrongly I'm basing my answer on there performance , anyway there are so many good rounds out there , I tend to favour the Norma 95 grain partition , also had some fantaistic results with the sako gamehead 100 grain .

I shot a crow yesterday out to 304 paces and a few other closer ones plus a squirrel at about 50 yards. I only found half the squizzer. :rolleyes:

What are you loading? Do you have any preference for brass?

I'm using Remington brass at the moment and I'm on about the 6th or 7th firing (neck sizing only) but I have Hornady brass and S&B brass from when I used factory ammo and there doesn't seem to be any difference between any of the brass as far as accuracy is concerned. I was using the Superformance factory ammo but then went on to the S&B on a recommendation of a friend (Not expecting good things having tried there cartridges many years ago) and the rifle shot them exactly the same as the Hornady ammo. I was pleasantly surprised that the S&B were grouping at the same POI and the same size as the Hornady especially at £17.50 a box. I'm now loading 32grn SBK's over 28grns of Ramshot TAC using CCI small rifle primers (number 400 I think). 5 pence piece (thereabouts) groups at 100 yds shooting off a bipod.