Spring is nearly here - HV or not HV...

So, as most rimfire rabbit shooters I favour subsonic as it's quiet and accurate. All well and good until your permission has rabbits that get very, very shy and then your distances extend. Then, unless you're a flexible ground crawling silent type that has the stealth of a ninja and the patience of a saint it's very difficult to get within 100 yards or more.

In the past when this happens I've switched to HV's, usually Winchester Lazers or similar. Wait for a nice day, go through the whole zeroing process (usually about 14 clicks up) and just accept a bit more noise. The farmer doesn't mind the noise and it tends to keep the dog walkers and trespassers away anyway.

The disadvantage is, however, that accuracy is affected. My usual nice tight groups with the subs when zeroed at 75 paces do open up a bit but not perhaps as badly as I read about on here and elsewhere. What it does allow is me to kill out to 100 - 120 yards where the subs are a bit out of range. And, to be honest, I quite like the 'real bullet' noise!

Question is, do you do the same or stick to subs all the time? Is it true that HV's are really that less accurate or is it all down to the brand used?

Be keen to know the thoughts of others.

I use cci velocitors when range needs to be extended, accuracy is pretty much on par with the subs so try a different brand exactly as you would subs.

Others say just use a 17 hmr but for the cost of rifle etc it doesn't warrant me having one for how many times I'd use it.

I use the HV lasers too and love them.

Did some testing last spring and found no issues, even getting a couple of 200yd rabbits!

I don't re zero but let them shoot high so I am on at extended range.

200yd rabbit.

DSCN1307_zpssokspcjg.jpg

180yd crows.DSCN1306_zpsm2ly41aw.jpg

80yd cub.

DSCN1309_zpstnq5vxs6.jpg

Edited by Underdog

I use the HV lasers too and love them.

Did some testing last spring and found no issues, even getting a couple of 200yd rabbits!

I don't re zero but let them shoot high so I am on at extended range.

200yd rabbit.

DSCN1307_zpssokspcjg.jpg

180yd crows.DSCN1306_zpsm2ly41aw.jpg

80yd cub.

DSCN1309_zpstnq5vxs6.jpg

What size barrel is that? Looks pretty long in the pic