Accounts

dorianbuilders

Hi there can anyone give me a little bit of advice here, just switched to new accountant and some stuff needs to be filed by Tuesday.

I've been given some accounts which shows no workings and asked to get a copy of the spread sheet that I've seen whilst in the office to check (I took it these were the books they'd created for me?) to be told that I couldn't have a copy as I could take them to another accountant and that was her work?

Is this standard with accountants? It's cost me the best part of £1000 and they want me to agree to paying monthly towards next year?

Kind of feel like they're not letting me get a copy of what I've paid for!

Thanks in advance

Accountants are not infallible and do make mistakes. Tell your accountant that you require the spread sheet in order to check her workings. They are your accounts and if they form the baseline for your tax return then it is you who is responsible to HMRC for their accuracy. She is also required to return your prime documents.

My wife uses a tax assist office for her tax return and every year I have found at least one error. I am retired. Never was a high street accountant or dealt with tax. Worked in manufacturing and Central Govn't and a mail order company and could put FCMA after my name which is how I know that accountants do make mistakes. Which is why I say you should be certain in what you are submitting to HMRC.

Is your current accountant a member of a professional body - ICAEW or similar ? If so they have pretty clear guidelines as to what info your new accountant can request your old accountant to provide to them (as part of he Professional Clearance protocols) and I'd have thought pretty reasonable chance such workings would be included, though hard to say for sure as I don't know what they actually are !