Variable power air rifle?

SPEEDY

I need to buy a new Air rifle for use at work, I will be shooting mostly Pigeons but I will also have to shoot smaller birds as well (Starlings, Indian myna’s etc)

For the most part this will be in public areas shopping center car parks, museums and warehouses so to avoid damaging buildings and other infrastructure I need to be able to adjust the power level to suit the situation.

What I’m looking at is a rifle that has the following features.

Accurate

Adjustable power level from around 10ft/lbs to 30ft/lbs

Hard wearing, this will be a work gun and not a safe queen

Reasonably priced

I would prefer a pumped charged but one that takes a co2 canister would be fine

Any recommendations?

I need to buy a new Air rifle for use at work, I will be shooting mostly Pigeons but I will also have to shoot smaller birds as well (Starlings, Indian myna’s etc)

For the most part this will be in public areas shopping center car parks, museums and warehouses so to avoid damaging buildings and other infrastructure I need to be able to adjust the power level to suit the situation.

Accurate

Reasonably priced

Any recommendations?

It sounds like an AAS410 xtra fac mate, I am sure they have an adjustable power **** and run to around 35ftlbs. Also PCP, incredibly accurate, silent and multi shot.

I know rapids can be fitted with an adjustable valve allowing it to go up to 60ftlbs but thats a custom job.

Hope that helps,

Dan

Accurate

Reasonably priced

Any recommendations?

Shooting indian mynahs, we could do with you over here :lol: :blink:

Only joking :lol:

:good: D2D

AA S410Xtra FAC all the way.

However you will probably have to either experiment like hell or calibrate the power valve in some way - adjusting the power will muck with the POI (I know you know this mate ) - but I am not sure how "repeatable" any particular power setting is...

I don't know how practical it would be but IMHO I would have 2 seperate rifles.

I have never shot an adjustable powered rifle but from the information I have seen and the reports on this and other forums I am of the opinion that they just are not worth the trouble. The change of POI is a crucial factor and does not have the reliability when being swapped around.

However I would sugest you take the advice from someone who has an S410Xtra and has experience.

If I was in the same position I would consider an FAC for the long range shots and a 12lber for the close range builing work, or a smaller CO2 gun such as a Ratcatcher for the closer stuff.

I don't know how practical it would be but IMHO I would have 2 seperate rifles.

I have never shot an adjustable powered rifle but from the information I have seen and the reports on this and other forums I am of the opinion that they just are not worth the trouble. The change of POI is a crucial factor and does not have the reliability when being swapped around.

However I would sugest you take the advice from someone who has an S410Xtra and has experience.

If I was in the same position I would consider an FAC for the long range shots and a 12lber for the close range builing work, or a smaller CO2 gun such as a Ratcatcher for the closer stuff.

:good:

I didn't think that it would matter if the POI changed vertically on the lower power for the close range shots (under 15ft) it only matters to me if it changes horizontally.

eeeeeeeerrrrrrr, you have a very small target area as it is with a pigeon head shot. Any element that changes the POI is going to cause problems. Just adopting a "spray and pray" policy is not good. You have to be sure of clinical precision, they might be vermin but body shots and wounding is not the way to go, whatever power rifle you have.