Reducing an Oak tree in spread and height ?

TaxiDriver

• 3 weeks later...

Had a chap come round his afternoon to have a look,

He agreed it was getting out of scale for its location and proximity to the house.

Reckons he can knock it back by 1/3rd of its current spread which I reckon would be an amazing difference.

Just gotta wait on him giving me a price tomorrow.

Jeeeeeeeezuz,

He got back to me a price alright. ....... £750

Guess that ain't gonna be happening any time soon .

Jeeeeeeeezuz,

He got back to me a price alright. ....... £750

Guess that ain't gonna be happening any time soon .

just be careful, loads of people out there with blue rope and a chain saw, I've sen trees butchered and just look awful. Done properly and once the tree recovers, up to 18 months is what I was told, it should look natural as though it was never touched.

I can recommend the guys which i have just used, but I'm not sure it will be any cheaper. These guys were very professional, polite and did a great job at mine,

just be careful, loads of people out there with blue rope and a chain saw, I've sen trees butchered and just look awful. Done properly and once the tree recovers, up to 18 months is what I was told, it should look natural as though it was never touched.

I can recommend the guys which i have just used, but I'm not sure it will be any cheaper. These guys were very professional, polite and did a great job at mine,

I have to agree with this, without seeing it, the price you have been given is good, if anything on the cheap side, remember he has to cover buying equipment, maintenance, personnel, fuel, transport, disposal of what is removed, insurance, tax, time spent going to price jobs for people where he doses not get the job and several other expenses I have probably forgot about.

Aye obviously without seeing the job but price does not sound massively dear. But really depends how long they think job will take

I'd imagine u could be a 2/3 men, plus chipper, pick up to hual chip away plus all safety gear and ins etc, saws public laibility ins. Like stumpy said plenty of outgoings and to be honest some of the wages aren't great in tree business not considering how much hard work it is and how potentially dangerous it could be suspended up a tree by a 13mm rope in all weathers. U'd be surprised how a light breeze at ground level can faily get a tree top swaying about when ur up in it waving a chain saw about.

Cosd : This chap is a pro and came via recommendation from A fellow forum member who's used his services.

When he came to look, he had 2 blokes with him, so I assume they work in a team of 3.

I did ask, Would it be cheaper if they did the tree work and left the branches/limbs, OR, do they bank on taking the branches for logging and selling on thus generating more money out of the job ?

Either way it's academic as the old lady who owns the tree has said she can't (won't?) spend the money, and since I'm off work and haven't got a pot to **** in I can't afford to help.

For H&S u will have to have atleast 2 climbers working together, so if 1 needs rescued they have someone on site and trained, so usually 2-3 men squads for most jobs is the norm.

All the safety gear needs checked every 6 months and ticketed etc

Some tree surgeons will keep the logs to sell on but most i know wil just give them away as they're usually more hassle than any tiny profit u make out of them, by time u store/dry them for 1 year, cut, split, bag and deliver all after u've already done a days hard work.

Sure ur paying more for firewood than we do up here but usually still not a lot to pay for all the handling storing etc, unless u get into firewood prosessors and machines for the job which are more money again and often not designed for bigger knotty timber thats not straight.

Depending if the tree has branches leaning onto/over ur ground u can cut them back to the boundry line and throw branches back over the fence (theft if u don't) but doubt that will solve anything and spoil look off the tree

Cosd : This chap is a pro and came via recommendation from A fellow forum member who's used his services.

When he came to look, he had 2 blokes with him, so I assume they work in a team of 3.

I did ask, Would it be cheaper if they did the tree work and left the branches/limbs, OR, do they bank on taking the branches for logging and selling on thus generating more money out of the job ?

Either way it's academic as the old lady who owns the tree has said she can't (won't?) spend the money, and since I'm off work and haven't got a pot to **** in I can't afford to help.

Yeah totally understand, it isn't cheap. I was a little skeptical on the charges and even considered having a go myself, but when you see what they have to do, in my case 60-70' up in the tree, you can appreciate its a skilled job as well as a dangerous one.

I was really stitched up in that I paid to have mine pruned, for a better word, then 4 months later the wife decided it had to go :) So I paid for the privilege twice!!

Cos

• 11 months later...

Thread revival warning :lol:

Well saga of this blessed Oak monster goes on.

The old lady died suddenly a little while back, so the family have appeared out of the woodwork and been around and tried to loot the place, sadly I think they've all been disappointed :lol: I think her daughter & granddaughters maybe even been a little embarrassed at how the old lady's been living.

The daughter who I assume has inherited the house has told me she'll get around to getting something done to the tree but I'm not holding my breath :no:

The neighbour the other side of me is, (I think) maybe poo stirring, telling me old lady's daughter has said that it my responsibility to pay someone to prune back the tree that overhangs my garden.

I am of course going to have to have a chat with the family of the ol' lady, But being as they only cremated her a week ago I'm not in any rush to bother them over a tree.