Liam Smith v Canelo Alvarez,Sunday morning.

sako751sg

Fighting for Smiths WBO light middleweight belt and would love to see him win.

Bound to be a huge underdog but hes a decent enough boxer but with the shocking bias towards Alvarez by the judging in a lot of his fights it will be near impossible but hopefully he goes the distance.

Dont rate Alvarez that much and he doesnt carry that much power but is a methodical plodder imo and this fight should have been against GGG but when ordered to fight him Alvarez gave up the belts instead and ran away.

Big ask and even if its competitive the judges could make it very one sided on the cards.

Dont think I could agree that Canelo Alveraz doesnt carry that much power considering his KO percentage.

I think Joe Gallagher is already making exuse's before the fight even happens;Smith from what Ive seen of him is a very good boxer' but im going for a Knockout win by the Stocky' Irish looking fella 'lol on Mexican independence day.

Wont be getting up to watch this one live' as Missy is away this weekend on Work training and im left with the Kid's.

Smith should give a good account of himself but as I say i think Canelo will KO him.

Dont think he would be any good against Golovkin though' but I like most really hope this fight will happen sooner rather than later.

I have to say that I think Alvarez is a decent puncher - slightly flattered by Khan, who has a glass jaw.

A bit like Kell Brook - my heart hopes that Liam Smith can win, but my head says Alvarez will stop him.

If Sako751sg and Evo agree on the outcome - that is what will happen. :good:

I have to say that I think Alvarez is a decent puncher - slightly flattered by Khan, who has a glass jaw.

A bit like Kell Brook - my heart hopes that Liam Smith can win, but my head says Alvarez will stop him.

If Sako751sg and Evo agree on the outcome - that is what will happen. :good:

I dont mean hes low power,but not exceptional,probably a wee bit harsh on him.

Im probably letting heart rule head and just really looking for a good show from Smith and really want him to go the distance.

Despite what I said' I set the alarm for 5am and after a 10min Snooze I slipped downstairs.By the time i got the kettle and the box on it was the start of the 2nd Round.

I thought it was an excellent performance by Canelo. He dominated nearly every round and never really looked in any trouble.Smith got through with some good shots but they had no effect on Alvarez.

Blistering hand speed,Fast,powerful combo's and the trademark uppercut was finding there marks. He had Smith down 3 times..Head shot and two big body shots.There was no way he was getting up from the second of these. Overall' A very convincing win for Canelo.

One thing I will say' is I have even more respect for Amir Khan and like him even more. Canelo is a beast' Knocking out legit MW's and for Khan to come up two weights and even though he got his 'Glass Jaw' Knocked sparko he made no excuses and took his defeat well unlike Brook and Smith who come across as sore losers.

People where saying' Brook should fight the winner of lastnights fight..Well IMO Brooks,BJS,and Eubank jr are only Cannon Fodder for the best two MW's in the world right now and that is Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez. They may get there big money fights but none of them stand a chance against these two.

I would still fancy Triple G but it would be no walk in the park like some think. Alvarez is young strong,has power and speed and it would be Some fight and one that should happen before its two late to be the fight all boxing Fnans want to see. The reply of last nights fight is coming up on Boxnation soon if anyone is interested.

On a side note; A Great CW title fight also took place last night an aother Ukrainian superstar in the making in the form of Oleksandr Usyk who defeated the WBO Champ Krzystof Glowacki in his own back yard. Watch out the Scouse star of Creed. aka Tony Bellew.

Edited by SuperGoose75

Despite what I said' I set the alarm for 5am and after a 10min Snooze I slipped downstairs.By the time i got the kettle and the box on it was the start of the 2nd Round.

I thought it was an excellent performance by Canelo. He dominated nearly every round and never really looked in any trouble.Smith got through with some good shots but they had no effect on Alvarez.

Blistering hand speed,Fast,powerful combo's and the trademark uppercut was finding there marks. He had Smith down 3 times..Head shot and two big body shots.There was no way he was getting up from the second of these. Overall' A very convincing win for Canelo.

One thing I will say' is I have even more respect for Amir Khan and like him even more. Canelo is a beast' Knocking out legit MW's and for Khan to come up two weights and even though he got his 'Glass Jaw' Knocked sparko he made no excuses and took his defeat well unlike Brook and Smith who come across as sore losers.

People where saying' Brook should fight the winner of lastnights fight..Well IMO Brooks,BJS,and Eubank jr are only Cannon Fodder for the best two MW's in the world right now and that is Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez. They may get there big money fights but none of them stand a chance against these two.

I would still fancy Triple G but it would be no walk in the park like some think. Alvarez is young strong,has power and speed and it would be Some fight and one that should happen before its two late to be the fight all boxing Fnans want to see. The reply of last nights fight is coming up on Boxnation soon if anyone is interested.

On a side note; A Great CW title fight also took place last night an aother Ukrainian superstar in the making in the form of Oleksandr Usyk who defeated the WBO Champ Krzystof Glowacki in his own back yard. Watch out the Scouse star of Creed. aka Tony Bellew.

Lol,when did he do this,i seem to have missed out this period of his?

He has fought twice at MW,once going the distance with a blown up WW in Miguel Cotto,and the other was Amir Khan,again,a blown up WW.

Who are these legit MWs he has knocked out,taking into account he weighed 10lb more than a legit LMW in Liam Smith.

As for Usk,totally agree.Mentioned him a year or two back in a different thread saying he would be a World champ and it happened last night.Awesome skills for a big lad.

Your easily amused fella :rolleyes: Considering 'that I could have quite easily put multiple "Lots of Laughs" to you saying Canelo doesnt carry that much power and of your assessment of Canelo's performance.

How and ever that aint My style so Hey Ho' as they Say.

You are "Technically"correct in what you Say' but So what..? It doesnt change one iota and I stand by what I have Put. For me Canelo Whup's all three names I mentioned and Golovkin whup's the other two having already beaten Brook. The only other name i would put in the mix and would threaten either Golovkin or Alvarez is the Canadian Banger' David Lemieux. Yes Golovkin has already fought and stopped him ' but I would like to see another fight between the two as i think Lemieux has improved and would be better equiped this time around. He might not beat Golovkin but I feel he would give him a better test. I would also like to see Groves have a go at GGG' He could give him a seriious rattle I feel.

I am a Golovkin Fan' and IF/When Alvarez and him Fight I will be routing for GGG but only a Fool would write off Canelo as a serious threat.

At the end of the Day' As a Boxing fan I think most would agree we would like to see Competitive Fights and not One sided ones. True, Golovkin is an 'Animal' and is feared and has destroyed all put in front of him so far and its not his fault no one wants to fight him. But if he can take fights like Brook or Canelo taking fights like Khan then surley there is a Case for Golovkin to take a Chance.He wants to unify the division' fair enough.

It will be intereting to see how the LHW bout between Andre Ward v Sergy Kovlaev pans out and if Ward wins or loses' It will be interesting to see what his next move will be' because there is a fight right there for Golovkin. If GGG is willing to fight the likes of Brook' although it was Brook who took the Challenge' then surley he can Meet Ward somewhere in the middle. Rumour has it that Golovkin dropped Sergy' in Sparring which would not surprise me one bit' So he Should have no Qualms about getting in with Ward.

There is Three boxers who I really like..Golovkin,Alvarez,Ward..All really humble ,Likable Fighters who do their talking in the Ring.

As for the Ukrainians' they are churning out some really skillful fighters who are a joy to watch. Noted Mr Lomachenko in Usyk's corner on saturday night.

Anyhow' its all fun and game's and there should be plenty to look forward too and we have the prospect of an Exsplosive,All action heavyweight fight between Fury and Klitschko to look forward to :rolleyes:

Your easily amused fella :rolleyes: Considering 'that I could have quite easily put multiple "Lots of Laughs" to you saying Canelo doesnt carry that much power and of your assessment of Canelo's performance.

How and ever that aint My style so Hey Ho' as they Say.

You are "Technically"correct in what you Say' but So what..? It doesnt change one iota and I stand by what I have Put. For me Canelo Whup's all three names I mentioned and Golovkin whup's the other two having already beaten Brook. The only other name i would put in the mix and would threaten either Golovkin or Alvarez is the Canadian Banger' David Lemieux. Yes Golovkin has already fought and stopped him ' but I would like to see another fight between the two as i think Lemieux has improved and would be better equiped this time around. He might not beat Golovkin but I feel he would give him a better test. I would also like to see Groves have a go at GGG' He could give him a seriious rattle I feel.

I am a Golovkin Fan' and IF/When Alvarez and him Fight I will be routing for GGG but only a Fool would write off Canelo as a serious threat.

At the end of the Day' As a Boxing fan I think most would agree we would like to see Competitive Fights and not One sided ones. True, Golovkin is an 'Animal' and is feared and has destroyed all put in front of him so far and its not his fault no one wants to fight him. But if he can take fights like Brook or Canelo taking fights like Khan then surley there is a Case for Golovkin to take a Chance.He wants to unify the division' fair enough.

It will be intereting to see how the LHW bout between Andre Ward v Sergy Kovlaev pans out and if Ward wins or loses' It will be interesting to see what his next move will be' because there is a fight right there for Golovkin. If GGG is willing to fight the likes of Brook' although it was Brook who took the Challenge' then surley he can Meet Ward somewhere in the middle. Rumour has it that Golovkin dropped Sergy' in Sparring which would not surprise me one bit' So he Should have no Qualms about getting in with Ward.

There is Three boxers who I really like..Golovkin,Alvarez,Ward..All really humble ,Likable Fighters who do their talking in the Ring.

As for the Ukrainians' they are churning out some really skillful fighters who are a joy to watch. Noted Mr Lomachenko in Usyk's corner on saturday night.

Anyhow' its all fun and game's and there should be plenty to look forward too and we have the prospect of an Exsplosive,All action heavyweight fight between Fury and Klitschko to look forward to :rolleyes:

Lol,im "technically correct","but so what".Classic.

Wee bit different as you would be laughing at someones opinion opposed to me laughing at someone getting the facts wrong.

I just asked who they were but ive tried to read your post and cant seem to see where you have named them although im "technically correct" but you "stand by what you have put".

Im not saying you shouldnt and was just asking who these legit MWs are as ive followed his career and hes only fought at MW twice and both against blown up welters.

You seem to have taken offence from me asking for some reason.

Im not arguing about anything else in your post as its all a matter of opinion,mine differs by thinking GGG owns Alvarez but again its only opinion.

I wouldnt usually say anyone is a "fool" for their opinion,but only a fool would think the David Lemieux would give him a bigger test and how he has improved.Its less than year since he fought GGG,where he was blasted out in 8 rounds after taking a good beating and not taking a round in the previous 7.He has only fought once since against mediocre opponent.

That means we are both fools though,because i give Alvarez no chance against GGG.

As for Kovalev and Ward,a cracking match up and not sure how it goes.

Kovalev doesnt just have power,but his distance judging is lovely and will need to be because Ward can nullify the oppos work like no other.Props for Ward taking this fight,and its time he got his career back on track after all the contractual mess for the last year or two.

Will be surprised if he ever fights GGG,especially after dipping into LHW with Kov and would fancy Ward to take him anyway.Very intelligent fighter with great skills.

Looking forward to Fury and Klit,even though it could be another stinker.

Think Wlad will be a different fighter from the first gig but time will tell.

Edited by sako751sg

I agree. Last time out, he was poor. I don't think he will repeat the mistake.

Heres hoping.

Dont really mind who wins but would love to see a decent HW gig again.

Usyk(Rik Mayall lookalike) became champ at weekend.Looked exceptional and should be able to move up the weight pretty easy.

Lol,im "technically correct","but so what".Classic.

Wee bit different as you would be laughing at someones opinion opposed to me laughing at someone getting the facts wrong.

I just asked who they were but ive tried to read your post and cant seem to see where you have named them although im "technically correct" but you "stand by what you have put".

Im not saying you shouldnt and was just asking who these legit MWs are as ive followed his career and hes only fought at MW twice and both against blown up welters.

You seem to have taken offence from me asking for some reason.

Im not arguing about anything else in your post as its all a matter of opinion,mine differs by thinking GGG owns Alvarez but again its only opinion.

I wouldnt usually say anyone is a "fool" for their opinion,but only a fool would think the David Lemieux would give him a bigger test and how he has improved.Its less than year since he fought GGG,where he was blasted out in 8 rounds after taking a good beating and not taking a round in the previous 7.He has only fought once since against mediocre opponent.

That means we are both fools though,because i give Alvarez no chance against GGG.

As for Kovalev and Ward,a cracking match up and not sure how it goes.

Kovalev doesnt just have power,but his distance judging is lovely and will need to be because Ward can nullify the oppos work like no other.Props for Ward taking this fight,and its time he got his career back on track after all the contractual mess for the last year or two.

Will be surprised if he ever fights GGG,especially after dipping into LHW with Kov and would fancy Ward to take him anyway.Very intelligent fighter with great skills.

Looking forward to Fury and Klit,even though it could be another stinker.

Think Wlad will be a different fighter from the first gig but time will tell.

Well that just confirms to Me' That my initial thought was Correct.! And that was that your post was of a condesending Nature.

Like and I quote "Who are these legit MW;s he has knocked down.?" Sure if you have followed his Career you already knew you were right' you could have just corrected me on the matter.

You seem apt at telling me' what i should have said.. When thats all you had to do instead of being so patronizing'

As for the laughing..Regardless of its at fact or opinion' The subtle difference is' You Did and I didnt. I was speaking hypothetically.

Was me saying that you where "Technically correct" Not good enough for you or concise enough for me to say I was wrong..?

And I dont get whats "Classic" about me saying So what..? Regardless of it was WW's or MW's he was knocking out it Still doesnt change my opinion that he would beat the 3 boxers I mentioned or Does it change how I respect Khan or brook for that matter. So il leave that one with you.

You seem pretty Hung up on these weights considering there is not a world of difference between SWW and LMW.It is not a major task for fighters between 150 pounds and 160 pounds to move up or Down and Did Canelo not Fight a few catchweight fights that where as good as Middle weight fights.? True its a different story making fights between LW/WW and SMW fighters' thats where there is a notable difference.

And as for the "Only a Fool" remark..It was not directed at you personally' it was more of a generalisation..!

I aslo think Golovkin would beat Canelo' however it surly would be his toughest test to date. How do you beat Golovkin..? Well its either Knock him out or Out Box him for 12 and get the decision,Neither of which is going to be an easy task. One thing that can be said about Canelo and indeed Lemieux is that they are still young enough and have room for improvement whereas Golovkin is surly at his peak. Canelo has fast hands and power' But could he hurt Golovkin and take his power.? Well thats what we all want to find out.!

Lemieux' had said after the GGG fight that he just didnt feel right and couldnt get it going on the night' well i suppose many say that in fairness' but I liked lemeuix in his last fight and i reckon if he could connect with a big right hand then he could really test Golovkin's Chin. He beat a medicore at best fighter..? Well that may be true enough but again you could pretty much say the same about alot Golovkins opponents . Its just a pity some of the best of the Super 6 guys are no longer about in the division' Froch,Kessler,Dirrell and Ward would surley have been stiff test for him although he probably would have smoked them also with the exception of Andre Ward.

Anyhow its bedtime, It was noted that you be on Boxing forums "Something I dont be" But Ive always been a boxing fan and although Ive missed some yrs due to personal reasons and also when Sky took over most of the fights' when the only way of seeing a big fight was down the Local. I used to buy The Ring magazine " and I aslo used to but 3 shooting mags a month but dont get any now and my free time is very limited for a number of reasons "its actually a novelty' getting some time to be on here at times' but I try to watch as much boxing as I can and try and keep up to date as much as i can' as i have many other interests that require attention. I am far from a Boxing expert but do like talking about it and although over the hill' I still like to do a bit of training when time allows.

So if the intention of your post was to show you have superior Boxing Knowledge' Then I bow to that fact..But I wont be losing any sleep over it :good:

Edited by SuperGoose75

Well that just confirms to Me' That my initial thought was Correct.! And that was that your post was of a condesending Nature.

Like and I quote "Who are these legit MW;s he has knocked down.?" Sure if you have followed his Career you already knew you were right' you could have just corrected me on the matter.

You seem apt at telling me' what i should have said.. When thats all you had to do instead of being so patronizing'

As for the laughing..Regardless of its at fact or opinion' The subtle difference is' You Did and I didnt. I was speaking hypothetically.

Was me saying that you where "Technically correct" Not good enough for you or concise enough for me to say I was wrong..?

And I dont get whats "Classic" about me saying So what..? Regardless of it was WW's or MW's he was knocking out it Still doesnt change my opinion that he would beat the 3 boxers I mentioned or Does it change how I respect Khan or brook for that matter. So il leave that one with you.

You seem pretty Hung up on these weights considering there is not a world of difference between SWW and LMW.It is not a major task for fighters between 150 pounds and 160 pounds to move up or Down and Did Canelo not Fight a few catchweight fights that where as good as Middle weight fights.? True its a different story making fights between LW/WW and SMW fighters' thats where there is a notable difference.

And as for the "Only a Fool" remark..It was not directed at you personally' it was more of a generalisation..!

I aslo think Golovkin would beat Canelo' however it surly would be his toughest test to date. How do you beat Golovkin..? Well its either Knock him out or Out Box him for 12 and get the decision,Neither of which is going to be an easy task. One thing that can be said about Canelo and indeed Lemieux is that they are still young enough and have room for improvement whereas Golovkin is surly at his peak. Canelo has fast hands and power' But could he hurt Golovkin and take his power.? Well thats what we all want to find out.!

Lemieux' had said after the GGG fight that he just didnt feel right and couldnt get it going on the night' well i suppose many say that in fairness' but I liked lemeuix in his last fight and i reckon if he could connect with a big right hand then he could really test Golovkin's Chin. He beat a medicore at best fighter..? Well that may be true enough but again you could pretty much say the same about alot Golovkins opponents . Its just a pity some of the best of the Super 6 guys are no longer about in the division' Froch,Kessler,Dirrell and Ward would surley have been stiff test for him although he probably would have smoked them also with the exception of Andre Ward.

Anyhow its bedtime, It was noted that you be on Boxing forums "Something I dont be" But Ive always been a boxing fan and although Ive missed some yrs due to personal reasons and also when Sky took over most of the fights' when the only way of seeing a big fight was down the Local. I used to buy The Ring magazine " and I aslo used to but 3 shooting mags a month but dont get any now and my free time is very limited for a number of reasons "its actually a novelty' getting some time to be on here at times' but I try to watch as much boxing as I can and try and keep up to date as much as i can' as i have many other interests that require attention. I am far from a Boxing expert but do like talking about it and although over the hill' I still like to do a bit of training when time allows.

So if the intention of your post was to show you have superior Boxing Knowledge' Then I bow to that fact..But I wont be losing any sleep over it :good:

Aye,The Ring used to be the Holy Grail of boxing but now its been bought by the cross dressing coke snorter its really not worth the paper its written on.

Hes devalued it totally and no surprise that the fighters he promote are rated so highly by it.

Read a bit from Eddie Hearn who was convinced Fury will be declared "Champion in Recess" and stripped of his belts / titles. His current problems are allegedly depression, which could take some time - if ever - to pass.

WBO have given him 10 days to clarify what condition he has or he gets stripped.

Hearn and Wladimir Ks manager Boente have both quoted a fight between Klit and AJ could be a possibility if he does get stripped.Will be shocked if this happens this year.