New airgunner trying to pick rifle

dr3w1986

Hello there! First of all, I've only just joined the forum so a big howdy to everyone, hope you're all ok.

Okie dokie, well. As stated in the title I am looking to get in to airgunning, initially target shooting but potentially hunting after my proficiency increases, and have been trying to decide on the rifle that I'd like to get. After much deliberating, I decided to go for a multishot PCP. The rifles that have attracted my attention the most are:

• Air Arms s410 Classic (carbines just don't do it for me, they look.... bleh :lol: )
  • Brocock Enigma (maybe even the deluxe version)
  • Logun S16s (probably not this one though as I'm not keen on the bull barrel look either, fussy I know)

I was wondering if anyone could give me some info about these rifles, or maybe some alternatives. For those of you who aren't up to date on current as new prices, all of these retail around the £450 mark. Which is pretty much as high as I'd like to go, what with having to think about scopes and suppressors and what not.

Another thing, I'm not likely to be using proper compressed air (no local dive shops) so I've looked at the Logun and the Hills pumps (I'm aware of the increased maintainence aspect). Any difference between the two??

Hope you all can help, Regards,

Drew

Right, first things first complete your profile dude :lol:

For me there are 3 PCPs that I would like to own in order:

Webley Raider 10

BSA Scorpion

AA S400

For more info on them have a look at www.uttings.com or www.airgunbuyer.co.uk

Just a couple of questions:

Do you really want to spend that much on your first rifle? Could get an S200 to start with.

And have you considered a springer? Learn recoil, no need for charging and you could get a decent combo for around £250-300 :good:

Hello there! First of all, I've only just joined the forum so a big howdy to everyone, hope you're all ok.

Okie dokie, well. As stated in the title I am looking to get in to airgunning, initially target shooting but potentially hunting after my proficiency increases, and have been trying to decide on the rifle that I'd like to get. After much deliberating, I decided to go for a multishot PCP. The rifles that have attracted my attention the most are:

• Air Arms s410 Classic (carbines just don't do it for me, they look.... bleh :lol: )
  • Brocock Enigma (maybe even the deluxe version)
  • Logun S16s (probably not this one though as I'm not keen on the bull barrel look either, fussy I know)

I was wondering if anyone could give me some info about these rifles, or maybe some alternatives. For those of you who aren't up to date on current as new prices, all of these retail around the £450 mark. Which is pretty much as high as I'd like to go, what with having to think about scopes and suppressors and what not.

Another thing, I'm not likely to be using proper compressed air (no local dive shops) so I've looked at the Logun and the Hills pumps (I'm aware of the increased maintainence aspect). Any difference between the two??

Hope you all can help, Regards,

Drew

Hi Drew

I've never used one of the pumps so can't offer any advice there.

Of the three rifles you mention I'd go for the AA S410 everytime. I have to say I've not used either of the other two but HAVE heard of quite a few others who were less than impressed. The 410 is obviously extremely popular. You'll get a decent shot count, good consistency for what is, after all, an unregulated rifle, excellent accuracy and good build quality.

Another few to consider would be the AA S200, the BSA Scorpion and the Webley Raider, maybe a 2nd hand RWS Excalibre too (similar to the Raider I think). I've had the S200 and an Excalibre and can vouch for both.

The best advice I can give though is to join a club and see if you can try a few, what suits one may not suit you. Failing that go to a good gun shop where you can try before you buy. Just DON'T whatever you do, buy mail order without trying the gun first!

ATB

Paul

I belive the Logun is made by Hills.

I have a Hills than is BSA branded. Very good pumps and the maintenance is really really easy. I have written a blow by blow guide that I would be happy to send you if you get one.

410 = great rifle and best all-round bet if you can afford it.

Enigma = leave them well alone!

Logun s16 = cant comment, although i've heard more bad press than good.

If I was you mate and I was set on purchasing a new pcp, i'd go for an AAS410 or the S200 they are popular rifles for a good reason :lol:

Logun s16 = cant comment, although i've heard more bad press than good.

The bad press was largely down to the awful fit, you need gorrilla arms and they are heavy. Oh and the "combat" styling.

Mechanically they are "robust" i.e. a little agricultural but JJaxeman and AXE have them, infact JJ bought two!

I have fired them and had no problems at all. AXE had a leaky seal but 20p and 10 minutes later job done.

Try it before you buy it, whatever gun it is. The fit any rifle will make it a winner.

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback.

I thought that the s410 would recieve the most positive feedback based on my previous readings of past topics. What is the shot count like on a full charge?

You guys have mentioned that the Brocock hasn't been considered that great, I personally haven't found many comments about it so could you tell me about the issues people have had?

Like I said before I wasn't that keen on the Logun anyway (I prefed how the mk1 looked, pity it turned out to be a bit of a flop with it's problems).

Again I haven't really heard anything about the Webley Raider, although looking at it now I quite like the aesthetics. Can anyone tell me how they've beeen getting on with it? Problems, if any?

The BSA Scorpion... hmm... it appears to be carbine in length... which I mentioned was not a turn on :( . It may be a great rifle, but it's not something I'd like to live with, so sorry to everyone who likes them.

And now to qualify a few things :lol:

Yes, I have considered spring rifles, and do like the BSA XL Tactical. Now the problem with spring rifles (for me) is that they tend to be single shot. Same problem as the nice s200. It doesn't really go with my... I dunno... shooting style. A little backstory, a few years ago (basically before I finished full-time education and had to start working for a living) I used to target shoot with a single shot pistol. I wasn't brilliant, but I was consistant. Anyhow, it was the whole reloading after every shot thing that bugged me, hence the looking for a multishot rifle.

I know that there are a couple of multishot springers available, and convertors for some more, but I'd just like a rifle that was intended to be a multishot from the beginning, and the PCP's sound like fun to me.

Right, if I don't stop and go to work now I'll be late, so bye for now.

Regards to all,

Drew

Drew, If you after accuracy then you really do need to go for a pcp rather than a springer. IMO

I have had lots of air rifles of all makes. BSA super sport & scorpion (pistol), hw90(?) gas ram. Air Arms TX 200 target version with floating barrel, just to name a few of the popular ones.

Then I braught my first PCP and IMO you will not get better accuracy than a pcp air rifle with a good scope good pellets and a harris bypod :) I will never buy another springer :)

The only other air rifle I would try apart from anothet AAS410 is a Daystate Air Ranger but you are talking double the cost of a AAS410 :good: you will probably be looking at spending £1200 - £1300 min for a new daystate combo. :):D

You wont be disapointed with a AAS410. IMO.

All the best :)

kipper :D

I used to have a logun s16 in .22 and it was a accurate gun it had plenty of shots per fill (about 200 if i remember correctly) they are heavy but you get used to it.I did however trade it in for a aa s410 classic .177 as i wanted a .177 and a classic styled gun and then i bought the aa s410 xtra fac two absoultly cracking guns and very accurate i probably get around 80 decent shots out of the classic and about half of that out of the xtra. As for the pump issue i use compresed air to fill mine so i cant comment but im guessing that the pump is not easy work.

stay away from that brocock ****e :stupid: played with one for a while B) never again

Still haven't had anyone tell me why they are bad though :D

Anyway, thanks again for all the replies. I'm still thinking, and after some more studying I may consider relaxing my opinion about single shots. The saving in price would certainly help with the other bits and bobs, like the pump.

As for the pump issue i use compresed air to fill mine so i cant comment but im guessing that the pump is not easy work.

Not bothered with a bit of effort, I go to the gym regularly and although i'm just shy of 5'10" I'm quite stocky :)

when i bought my gun i went for the pump instead of a cylinder and nearly got put off by people saying that it was hard work but i went for the pump any way and to be honest i can't see what all the fuss is about its not too difficult.

obviusly different ability circumstances may differ.