30-6

Filling in the warranty card makes no difference at all to your guarantee - your contract is with the seller and not the maker. Any warranty implied by the manufacturer when asking you to fill out a warranty card is above and beyond your statutory rights but will normally be passed on to some PITA extended warranty company.

With respect, and for the reason of avoiding being lambasted by other forum members for posting without checking the facts first..my post is based on what the CAB told me earlier. :yes:

We are talking about Guarantees and warranties here and not contracts of invitation to treat aren't we.

If an item breaks down after 6 months how do you prove to the vendor it wasn't fit for purpose in order to get a refund or a replacement ?

Edited by Adge Cutler

Filling in the warranty card makes no difference at all to your guarantee - your contract is with the seller and not the maker. Any warranty implied by the manufacturer when asking you to fill out a warranty card is above and beyond your statutory rights but will normally be passed on to some PITA extended warranty company.

That's right, and your receipt or credit card transaction will be proof enough for any manufacturer. Filling a warranty card is a trick designed to obtain your details so they can use it for marketing purposes. Some companies are honourable, others less so.

Any manufacturer's guarantee is over and above the guarantees and rights that you get under the CRA. One of those rights is that the item should be 'Fit For Purpose' and that means a reasonable degree of longevity providing the buyer has not abused the item. If you buy a CD player and it only lasts six months then you don't need to prove that it was faulty on delivery, just that it is not 'Fit For Purpose' in that it hasn't lasted a reasonable time.

That's right, and your receipt or credit card transaction will be proof enough for any manufacturer. Filling a warranty card is a trick designed to obtain your details so they can use it for marketing purposes. Some companies are honourable, others less so.

Any manufacturer's guarantee is over and above the guarantees and rights that you get under the CRA. One of those rights is that the item should be 'Fit For Purpose' and that means a reasonable degree of longevity providing the buyer has not abused the item. If you buy a CD player and it only lasts six months then you don't need to prove that it was faulty on delivery, just that it is not 'Fit For Purpose' in that it hasn't lasted a reasonable time.

Do you mean vendor ?

How do you prove that something is faulty or not fit for purpose should you have enjoyed more than 6 months use of it. i.e. the period after which the onus is on the customer to prove the item was faulty if they want a repair or replacement, and which the vendor can refuse to do so.

Not trying to be confrontational just interested to know

After 6 months I was under the impression the law on guarantees and the obligations of vendor and purchaser became quite tenuous so I would suggest the Manufacturers warranty should be more favourable in this case ?

Edited by Adge Cutler

I will fill in the registration form as it is a means of contact for any communication needed between manufacturer and customer ( think recent tumble dryer problems ).

It is not only a CD as I stated, but a BOOMBOX, USB, dab, FM, bluetooth, loads of things, not bad for a 60 year old. Does everything bar cook dinner.

I thank you all for your input. As far as I am concerned my start date is when I had it in my hands, so the 10th and if I ever need to use the guarantee I will argue the toss then

Do you mean vendor ? No

How do you prove that something is faulty or not fit for purpose should you have enjoyed more than 6 months use of it. i.e. the period after which the onus is on the customer to prove the item was faulty if they want a repair or replacement, and which the vendor can refuse to do so.

After 6 months I was under the impression the law on guarantees and the obligations of vendor and purchaser became quite tenuous so I would suggest the Manufacturers warranty should be more favourable in this case ? It is all to be found here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/notes

Do you mean vendor ? No

After 6 months I was under the impression the law on guarantees and the obligations of vendor and purchaser became quite tenuous so I would suggest the Manufacturers warranty should be more favourable in this case ? It is all to be found here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/notes

Blimey...I got as far as item 3 and then gave up... thanks anyway. :yes:

That lots more onerous than the NEC3 suite of building contacts and they are bad enough.

Obviously structured so that the average consumer gets bored and gives up.

More money for the lawyers though :)

Edited by Adge Cutler