28 gauge reloading

Guest cookoff013

No I actually find that 25 and 28 gram carts are a lot smoother in the lightweight 28bore than in my 12bore SxS. Something to do with slower burning progressive powders producing more of a smoother shove to your shoulder rather than the heavy hard slap or thump you come to expect.

Eh?

No I actually find that 25 and 28 gram carts are a lot smoother in the lightweight 28bore than in my 12bore SxS. Something to do with slower burning progressive powders producing more of a smoother shove to your shoulder rather than the heavy hard slap or thump you come to expect.

Went feretting today and we got 21, and dug 5 which wasnt to bad was bowling rabbits over with bournaghi 21 gram 6,s no problem got a pheasant day next saturday have you tried the pure gold 25 grm on pheasants should be good cartridge i should imagine for game only tried them out on rabbits.

Yes I've shot the 25g Pure Gold and have a box still when I looked today. Cookoff I know what you are thinking the physics don't add up but it's ow I perceive the recoil. None of the 28bore carts have slapped or kicked me about and seem smooth when pulling the trigger. Could be gun fits me well in soft part of shoulder pocket etc. Shot my SXS today and no mater what I put through it kicked and jumped about in my shoulder, probably me being stiff.

Guest cookoff013

Yes I've shot the 25g Pure Gold and have a box still when I looked today. Cookoff I know what you are thinking the physics don't add up but it's ow I perceive the recoil. None of the 28bore carts have slapped or kicked me about and seem smooth when pulling the trigger. Could be gun fits me well in soft part of shoulder pocket etc. Shot my SXS today and no mater what I put through it kicked and jumped about in my shoulder, probably me being stiff.

On the pressure barrel, the recoil is the same, same payload and speed. Slow and fast, same numbers.

Get or make trainer loads if they kick you around, shot subs. Decent subs handle well and hit like a freight train. I did subs 21g all the way to 42g. They do not recoil that much. No matter what you guys say, about slow burning powder. It doesn't work that way. Essentially you are saying the end result of recoil, you can guess the slowness of a powders burnrate.

Let me also point out that subsonics have the fastest powders, relative to payload. Even manufacturers publish this.

42g subs recoil as much as a 32g 1400fps@2.5m. (3" jobbies)

Recoil is not perceived. It's measured at a test barrel and is measured in n/s.

12ga Sxs were never ever designed to shoot 1400-1500fps loads. They were designed to shoot quality slow loads, 1050fps, big shotsizes. With the larger payload too means more shot to target.

I got smacked around twice shooting a 12, first was 53grams, the last was 66gram.

yes have used pure gold,i think i paid bout £7 50 a box for them.

How did you find them, tried them on rabbits last year but not at pheasants, do prefer a plaswad over felt for high birds see gamebore do a plastic wad 28 gram in 5 shot but may as well use a twelve its to much to put through a 28 in my opinion, viri fob do a 26 grm in 6 but no nothing about them wish i could get some nobel sport best cartridge i ever used and second best was bournaghi.

Edited by Hedgewizard

FOB 26gm 6 are a fantastic shell. Bowled over a hare stone dead with them and fired six for six on pheasants on the same day rough shooting. But that was before they went up in price. Would defo use them again

Thanks for the reply havnt heard any one mention them on here but see just cartridges stock them, will try them, your obviously a skilled shot, went feretting the weekend using vip fibre 5,s and done well but wont use these on pheasants high birds take some bringing down and plastic are better than fibre for high stuff stocks of bournaghi are running low which are a fantastic shell but no longer available,figgy also mentioned proper cartridges which he said did a cracking 28 round.

My local gun dealer is the importer of Bornaghi so I am pretty fortunate to have them on my doorstep. And I agree plastic do seem to be king on those tall birds. I would like to try those proper cartridges but he doesn't come down to Devon

You are lucky had over a thousand in 24 gram and around 750 in 21 gram best cartridge apart from nobel sport that ive used,will try some viri fob i presume they are italian so should be a good shell.

have tried all the main makers in fibre wad didn,t find much diffrenence in any of them,smallest load ive used is 21g in no7 for decoyed pigeon,they worked well enough,the slab im on now are 24g fiochi and they only make the one cartridge with plastic wad,will be out tomorrow on rape and due to proximity of houses etc will be useing them.so will post how i do.and like i said i paid £62 for them.

have tried all the main makers in fibre wad didn,t find much diffrenence in any of them,smallest load ive used is 21g in no7 for decoyed pigeon,they worked well enough,the slab im on now are 24g fiochi and they only make the one cartridge with plastic wad,will be out tomorrow on rape and due to proximity of houses etc will be useing them.so will post how i do.and like i said i paid £62 for them.

I hope you have a good day they should be hungry will be a good frost so you should do well, yes let me no how you get on cant get the time off until the weekend although im beating friday with my lad and going on a driven day saturday so looking forward to that,the frosts should knock the vegetation down to so we can get the feretts working again with luck.

didnt do well on the rape only 2 pairs came in to decoys all day an i got 2 of em,,,,loads about but despite changin decoys around and swoppin position of whirly loads of times they just wouldn,t come in.

Yes you can get days like that, others you cant reload quick enough me and my lad did last year on swipped maize barrels on my beretta where hot but you dont get many days like this, if we get a hard winter its better for decoying have done well in the snow in the past.

How did your day go today Hedgewizard? I shot 8 squirrels this afternoon while stalking around the pheasant feeders with the 28 bore

Went out saturday with my lad on a driven day, shot 11 pheasants all day out of it realy, but what i did get where high birds taken out with the 28 using bornaghi 21 gram 6,s next order going to be some viri fob or some proper cartridges in 28 and give them a try lad on the shoot has used them and highly rated there stopping power on high birds.