Decoy pattern

Browning

A large rape field is really starting to pull in the pigeons, but this particular field has

approx a 60 metre border around it where the rape didn't take. If I set up a hide with my back to the hedge, I'm already 60 metres away from the rape where the birds are feeding, and if I set up a hide close enough to the rape, I'll be in the middle of the 60 metre soil border.

On Saturday the birds were coming in over the hedge/trees behind me, but very high, and feeding in the middle of the field.

Any suggestions on tactics ? Where would be best to set up my hide ? Best to set up my decoy pattern ?

:huh: hello all

I think you should be ok seting up in the middle of field or near too were the pigeons are feeding .We use this tactic when shooting geese. lying on our backs covering our selfs in loose straw and the amout of pigeons that fly over is unbelivable .probly wont work if you are actuly after shooting the ####### :huh: but might be worth a try

I agree with Will about setting up in the middle of the field, if that is where they are feeding. I have also experienced a similar problem to you, with no hedge or other form of back drop for cover. We just built a hide and sat still, we had some excellent shooting from boxing day, throught to harvest time when the pigeon went looney for the swathed rape.

I suggest that you buy or borrow either John Battleys book or video, both are highly informative. The only negatives that I have about some of Johns ideas, are that I always got tangled in the hide roof, and having made a seat like his I found that it gave me back ache very quickly. I now use a folding chair obtainable from game fairs; no arms, and aluminium, not steel!! Remember Aluminium weighs 1/3rd that of steel.

webber

Going where the pigeons are is the best option.

But, if there are problems setting up in the field, don,t be too concerned about putting your decoys out on the area where the rape "didn,t take" (I assume something green is growing there).

I have done this and put fertilizer sacks on poles in the middle of the field, ( on one occassion, my rotary device with carrier bags tied on the arms), to push the pigeons away from that area.

This also works when you are covering a big field.

Then why dont you try and set up a hide in the middle of the field :huh:

You'll find this will work alot better than you think.

i had a day with a guide last year, I had told him of a simular problem I had.

We then built a hide, on harvested rape stalks. As long as the sides and back of the hide are high, and you keep well hidden you are almost invisable. Remember pigeons are looking from a long way off and also from the air.

If you set out a good, thick patten with some movement, the birds will focas on the decoys and not you.

Although a hide stands out against the sky from your veiw, from 60 feet up it's all cammo'ed against the field. Good colour matching, nice patten and keeping still are the key here, If you have any power or telegraph poles these would be a good place to start.

Good luck and good shooting. :huh::angry::P:D:)