Gaep tools/Folkestone Engineering

Any views or first hand reviews of the Gaep (plastic) case trimmer and brass or steel roll crimp dies from Folkestone Engineering? I am looking to do some (small amounts) slug and buckshot loads for PSG competition.

Also any favourite loads for 25g Lee slug?

(all 12g)

Edited by impala59

I have two gaep plastic case trimmers in 12 and 20 gauge I bought from john at FES they are extremely efficient and quick and do a really good job,i have also bought from john several roll turnover heads made by gaep and cortini and pezzotti they are all excellent but you have to get the correct one for the job,i would advise you to talk to him.hope this helps.

Gaep is good kit. I make slug rounds using it on a pedestal drill from Cromwell...about £70. On its lowest speed it makes a perfect rollover. I use a smear of 3 in 1. Folkestone is a good guy. It's all about the wad,card and disc to bring it up a height the roll crimp can deal with so play with that.

I use 20.4 grs of Vectan AS, on the recommendation of my dealer. It's accurate and works well. The case is pre primed and has an OAL of 62.70 mm. when complete, using a 7/8 Lee slug.

Guest cookoff013

gaep have several numbers, i think i have a gaep#4 / n4.

if i recolect it did a decent job, i am crimping now because i can reproduce a near as factory crimp with the mec.

If you can get Cortini & Pezzotti (i use theirs) opr Colvini all the better ... but they're quite expensive.... GAEP is a good, cheaper replacement for good looking finishes (which i bought for 12 bore since i probably reload 50 shells a year in 12s).

Check the die number you're getting as each will affect the crimp and, to a certain extent the pressure.
As a rule of thumb all producer - in italy -classify their dies as follow:
N1: slow burning powders - say for instance you have a load which doesn’t burn clean or is under pressured for the pellets load: the sharp slim edge increases the extraction load helping the powder burning properly and generating the ‘required pressure’.
N2: all-rounder - Generally speaking, if the shells are balanced, the N2 will suit all your needs; in fact, apart from some exceptions, they are standard fitted on all factories reloading machinery from Fiocchi to B&P.
N3: Cardboard hulls
N4-N5: magnum loads - in my view these are only needed for those shells where you have already a high pressure level and don’t need the crimp to help the powder burning or the gases to generate extra pressure as this is already happening through the balance of components.
Cheers,
Edited by Continental Shooter