Baikal IZH 27EM-IC

hoggysreels

Bought a Baikal IZH 27EM-IC last week off bosher ... Didn't want to spend to much on what will be a hide gun. Also wanted something that's reliable and tough. The Baikal covers all those requirements.

If anyone can help! .. Im after a ventilated recoil butt pad for the Baikal IZH 27EM-IC. Ideally one that fits well without having too grind to fit.

Any ideas as to which one I should go for ..

I've got the same gun and I couldn't find a direct replacement for the nasty plastic butt plate so I had to get a sand to fit.

I marked it and sanded it with a hand held belt sander got it near enough didn't sand it while it was on the stock.

It was a world of difference to felt recoil much nicer.

Jon

Edited by defender

If the LOP is right with the original pad I would leave it alone. I have the same gun and find the recoil is negligible with my maximum load of Fiocci 32g No.6 . The bakalite? pad it comes with slips smoothly into position rather than having to accurately place it with grabby rubber.

I contacted York Guns for the ventilated pad for my Baikal as the plastic one was broken when I bought it and if I remember correctly it cost me £15.00.

I needed to increase the LOP to 14.5" and the pad did just that, excellent gun and the pad fitted straight on, even has Baikal embossed into the pad.

Also get my best clay figures with this gun, it just "fit's" like a glove.

Decided to pop out for a couple of hours shoot today .. absolutely pouring with rain. Normally I'd of left it for a drier day .. Only went because curiosity got the better of me. I wanting to know how the cheap Russian Baikal OU handled.

I've never been more surprised by any shotgun I've owned or shot with. It an absolute pleasure to use. If cost equals pleasure/satisfaction. I'd of needed to pay three times the price ...

Its not hard to grind down a pad to fit, I just fitted a kick-eez one to my sons 20 bore. I screwed it onto the stock in the position I wanted it to end up at, and scored round the wood with a sharp point of a bradawl. removed it, trimmed it roughly with a stanley knife and finished off with a grinding wheel on a power drill, followed by fine wet and dry wetted with some oil.

Gave it a liberal rub with vaseline (tip I got off a mate) and it looks great, not 100% perfect but definitely not bad enough that you wouldnt notice it was a quick diy job!

Took about an hour start to finish.

well done on the Baikal btw, nice reliable utilitarian guns.

Edited by Wingman

Decided to pop out for a couple of hours shoot today .. absolutely pouring with rain. Normally I'd of left it for a drier day .. Only went because curiosity got the better of me. I wanting to know how the cheap Russian Baikal OU handle

I've never been more surprised by any shotgun I've owned or shot with. It an absolute pleasure to use. If cost equals pleasure/satisfaction. I'd of needed to pay three times the price ...

That's how I found mine first time out and it did not fit as good then as it does now, that's why I like it for clay's, it also gets some odd looks when you step out of the cage after a good score.

Ideally I intended on buying a genuine Baikal ventilated recoil butt pad which apparently comes as standard when you purchase a new Baikal IZH 27 EM-1C

Called York Gun to find out they are no longer the Baikal importers. York guns told me that presently Sportsman Gun Centre are currently the official Baikal UK importers.

During my conversation with a member of staff at Sportsmans Gun Centre, they informed me they don't carry the official recoil pad in stock. Furthermore it would likely take months for one to arrive if they ordered one today from Russia.

I quite liked the original ventilated Baikal recoil pad with its brand embossed into the base of the pad .. Plus I'd be confident it would have fitted without faffing about .. Anyhow the hunt goes on!