Ignoring Dummy

ratus

Just after some more advise please, i'm currently teaching my 8 month lab the stop to whsitle command, which is comming on well, we're still on the lead as he's not 100%, but 9/10 commands off the lead he will sit after a prompt. The problem i have now is if i place a Dummy down and walk him out to it he just ignores it, if i toss it 10 yards he will go in the direction then sniff about for a stick, anything but the dummy, he will retreive it not a problem if i throw it a fair distance, he will retrieve it to hand no problem. Any advise will be greatly accepted.

Ratus

Hello he's bored & need's stimulated to retrieve.Try sitting him & throughing the dummy around him 10ft but do not allow him to move do this 3-8 times & then let him have a retrieve it work's for me.This get's him interesred as he wait's for his /her chance & get's em thinking what 1 it's going to get keep the training & dog's brain going & guessing.

Hello he's bored & need's stimulated to retrieve.Try sitting him & throughing the dummy around him 10ft but do not allow him to move do this 3-8 times & then let him have a retrieve it work's for me.This get's him interesred as he wait's for his /her chance & get's em thinking what 1 it's going to get keep the training & dog's brain going & guessing.

Spot on, and would add a little reward (choc drops) and lots of praise each time he retrieves right back to you.

:lol: D2D

Make retreiving a game, don't just throw the dummy and send the dog. He will get bored.

Also don't use a dummy all the time, try other things like tennis balls, plastic bottles or get his favourite chew toy and get him to retreive them. Don't give to many retreives in any one session.

I only give Merlin 2-3 retreives every 3-4 days, but when he does get them he is fired up.