Mechanics advice please ?

TaxiDriver

I try! Once we get above monopoint injection it starts to get tricky for me, what i fix normally needs a hammer or a clean.

What I should have said is that a service will prob not bring those results down enough to pass it, a ***** leak test is to spray some carb cleaner round the intake pipes and if the engine speed changes you have a leak, just dont do it on a hot engine.

Only other think I can think of if a injector is bad then pull a plug lead one at a time and if you get no change on one of the leads then that will indicate either no spark or a injector fault but will only indicate a no fuel to injector, i would presume if you can pull the injector lead off each one and see if you get one that changes athe idle a large amount it may find the bad injector but its only a guess as i only have one to deal with!

Delbert,

The tester mentioned a good service including the oil & filters but I didn't understand how oil in the sump/engine effects emissions out of the exhaust ???

Surely IF it was burning oil it'd be smoking like a wotsit ?

Car isn't serviced at all engine wise other than refilling consumables like washer bottle and checking the oil level and brake fluid and power steering levels.

I think the last line might give a clue to the problem .