hulls to reload (70mm)

Good afternoon, Iv just started reloading, got all the kit and components and I'm loading 32grm 5s and 6s for game and vermin in 12 bore. Iv had some great results from certain hulls but not others, are there any to avoid? Hull sovereign, fiocchi f blacks, cheddite and gamebore white gold seem to come out great, is that due to the higher 'brass'? Are high brass cartridges better for homeloading?

I don't believe length of brass makes any difference whatsoever.

There are various makes of cases available, used by various manufacturers, home and abroad. They may have slightly different plastics, strength, resistance to deformation, have been skived to different degrees but they're all broadly the same - it's a well established technology without much between brands, some Winchester cases excepted.

None of it should make much difference, but you may find that the original loading - being higher or lower pressure - caused more or less case wear and / or made the new crimp you've put on the cases open more or less easily dependent on brand. This could have an effect on patterns.

Generally, you need enough of a crimp to produce correct and complete powder burn, but not so much that you're unnecessarily raising pressures in the case by "over-resisting" the shot column as it tries to leave. Quite how much is best is something of an art. Generally too much is better than too little in my experience.

Where in Tyne Valley are you?

Happy to call by on my way down to Newcastle sometime as I've been doing shotshell reloading for a few years now, so can show you some gear that you may not have seen & also let you see what reference books are worth investing in.

I have found Gamebore velocity + (silver cartridges) reload quite well if you can get some of them. The crimp seems to come out quite nice. Hull superfast (27g) are ok but not as good as the velocity, the case seems a little more fragile. Both of these are low brass 8/10mm.

I live about ten miles north of Hexham. I have produced some great tidy looking shells, just some of them are a bit tatty for want of a better word!! Some crimps aren't great and some bulged at the brass end. Should of said I'm loading fibre wads.

Will be probably free one day next week.

Got to drop some 16-bore carts off to a PW-er in Otterburn later this week, but I'll be on a tight schedule & will have the entertainment committee timing me!

Can arrange to come down & bring some of the odds & **** I use & see how you're doing your carts

What press are you using?

(Only ask as some have got more adjustments built in to allow a better result, i,e, the MEC Sizemaster lets you adjust the re-size diameter of the "brass" case head)

I also use a case gauge to check that the resized cases & loaded ammo fits = if it's ok in the gauge it'll be ok in a chamber: I've had some factory fresh ammo be a tight fit in this.

May have a few other 70mm hulls I can give you too, to see of your results with different brands are consistent. A good way to work out what factors are coming into play.