IR shy fox

bornfree

I seem to have an ir shy fox ( don't know why as I haven't missed one with NV in a long while) the first time it was about 80 yards away and it looked straight up at me and ran. two nights later the same thing happened. Iam sitting 25 ft up a tower and surrounded by 25,000 geese so it certainly didn't scent me. I use a 850ir and have just read about the 940ir being less visible has anyone changed with success?

PS just seen weather forecast looks like a clear night so if the moons up before the fox comes I may be lucky without ir tonight.

Edited by bornfree

Most IR 'lamps' with a wavelength below 900nm show a red light to some degree, some far worse than others. It's probably this that they can see bobbing about.

The Pulsar 'black' 900nm + also flashes when supposedly switched off....I wonder (not) why......................

I don't know how true it is but I have heard that some devices give off a high pitched whistle that we can't hear but can be detected. Perhaps it is this which is alerting Charlie to your presence. Beasts are strange though. I was up a tower with another bloke waiting for Charlie and it came into the field and we tracked it's progress using a pair of IR Binos. All appeared to be steady and there was no incident or noise to upset it but all of a sudden Charlie raced off of the field. We both thought, what happened there? 15 minutes later Charlie shot back through the hedge at the same place like he had been kicked through it.

I don't know how true it is but I have heard that some devices give off a high pitched whistle that we can't hear but can be detected. Perhaps it is this which is alerting Charlie to your presence. Beasts are strange though. I was up a tower with another bloke waiting for Charlie and it came into the field and we tracked it's progress using a pair of IR Binos. All appeared to be steady and there was no incident or noise to upset it but all of a sudden Charlie raced off of the field. We both thought, what happened there? 15 minutes later Charlie shot back through the hedge at the same place like he had been kicked through it.

The drivers may emit a little noise but I think that's so little it's inaudible to even superman.

It's most definitely the glow from the LED, I've been caught out umpteen times by Charlie bolting on the way in to a call only to stop when I switched on the lamp and then run like the clappers.

They were all lamp shy before I was on the permission.