Camera opinions

winnie&bezza

1 hour ago, poontang said:

What does she want to take photo's of, and is it likely to be an ongoing hobby/interest or just something to use for 'snapshots' when out?

No one camera will cover 'all things for all people' so it's important to decide which route she wants to take before shelling out your hard earned cash.

Mainly when going for walks or events. Taking pics of our daughter and she says she would love to do a photography course. 

well a rough guess id say a woman might prefer a compact as its easy to carry around in her bag, but obviously not knowing your wife i have no idea, or what she may use it for, for simplicity and easy to carry about id go for a nice compact, there very very good nowadays and are plenty of makes about, iv always liked the Panasonic range myself, and the good thing is there are plenty of happy snappers on here who will give you all the advise you need, there are that many cameras about nowadays its a long read looking at all there specs, iv done it countless times, good luck with your search mate:good:

My son always preferred Nikon DS cameras. After him asking me what I took some photos on as they were quite good. I replied It was my iPhone he sold his most expensive stuff and kept a cheaper older one and some lenses for dedicated times he’s going out to take photos. 

With clip on camera phone lenses and editing software you can take some very good photos. It’s usually always to hand too. Massive mega pixels are only needed if your looking to enlarge the images. 

9 hours ago, viking said:

well a rough guess id say a woman might prefer a compact as its easy to carry around in her bag, but obviously not knowing your wife i have no idea, or what she may use it for, for simplicity and easy to carry about id go for a nice compact, there very very good nowadays and are plenty of makes about, iv always liked the Panasonic range myself, and the good thing is there are plenty of happy snappers on here who will give you all the advise you need, there are that many cameras about nowadays its a long read looking at all there specs, iv done it countless times, good luck with your search mate:good:

Yeah small and compact sounds about right. Cheers and I better hurry and Xmas is creeping up a bit quick! ??

43 minutes ago, figgy said:

My son always preferred Nikon DS cameras. After him asking me what I took some photos on as they were quite good. I replied It was my iPhone he sold his most expensive stuff and kept a cheaper older one and some lenses for dedicated times he’s going out to take photos. 

With clip on camera phone lenses and editing software you can take some very good photos. It’s usually always to hand too. Massive mega pixels are only needed if your looking to enlarge the images. 

I agree, iPhones are good enough for me. 

But I suppose theirs something about holding a proper camera. 

I have had two Nikons, both low to mid range models - and both have been excellent ........... but now use iPhone more for most things - with very good results.  I have a £10 clip on close up/wide angle for the iPhone that also works very well and increases the versatility - especially considering the price.  Canon also have a very good name.

Edited by JohnfromUK