Guides to Start loading 12bore and 20 bore

My Mate and I have just 'Bought ' a Lee Load all 2  loader from ebay and are looking at having a go ourselves.

We both work in or around Bradford so getting to Cranks isn't a Problem but what is is knowing where to start.

So I am looking for basic guides for loading and an idea of how much material do we need to start up?

Where to buy the Shot, Wads, Powder ( is there a maximum we can 'Hold' ) possibly thinking about using new casses and primers for first few batches

Any Do's and Donts' what to stay clear of.

We both Shoot at Clays (  he hits  them I miss them)  at Coniston allow plastic wads but max 28g no 6, we shoot a couple of 100 between the 3 of us

Hid daughter shoots with us and at the moment is using a 20 so will need some  loading data for reloading these as well 

Hope you guys can help 

Thanks Agriv8

It will cost you more to load your own 12bore loads for clays than buying them. The 20bore may work out ok. 

Clay and game have load data sheets you pick one and pay a pound or two and they email it to you. Then buy the components in the data and make your carts.

I was about to ask the same sort of question. I've been shooting for a few years now and thought about loading myself. I realise the cost isn't that much different between bought and self loading in 12 bore, but iv'e just finished 'doing up' a .410 to go along with my other .410. I bought a box of Hull 3inch mags for a try out and it cost me the best part of £10 = 40p each :sad1: 

As i'm an old *** now and can't stop moaning / swearing at the garbage on tv i hardly watch it anymore, so i thought i would take this up as a hobby. So my question now is, are there any other negatives.

Guest cookoff013

Duds,

Just get some info and the exact components. Buy a book. And read all of it. Reloading isn't the b all or end all. Just reload bits. You are not married to the reloader. Do both!

I've just gone down this route, a friend of mine hand loads 12g & 16g but black powder only as he is a member of the Yorkshire powder burners at Steeton, w Yorks 

he makes his own wads, reuses cartridge empties from local clay shoots and buys components he can't make.

he has mentored me and has taught me the method of using a roll turnover tool for finishing the cartridge top.

i've enjoyed it as a separate hobby to shooting

I've also invested in a Lee loadall mainly for depriming / repriming empty cartridges, then I reload the powder, wad and shot by hand to get a square load and either crimp them in the Lee loadall or roll turnover the tops.

this depends on wether I am loading for my modern 12g  70mm chambered Baikal sbs or my 16g 1920 English 65mm chambered sbs.

A box (25) of 12g black powder cartridges are £15 plus , I make them for £9, 

i haven't found anyone that can supply 16g black powder cartridges but I make them for £10 a box

obviously I don't include the time it takes to reload them, I make them in stages.

theres plenty of videos on youtube and Facebook showing different reloading techniques

i think if you're reloading obscure loads like I am you might save a bit of cash but if it's fibre/plastic 12g clay loads you'd be better off buying ready made cartridges

I shoot at Coniston and Kelbrook regularly so l buy my clay loads

cheers Steve 

Reloading is far from boring! It can be quite theraputic, it passes time on those dark winter nights, when there is nothing else to do except watch garbage tv.....whilst savings on 12g loads are difficult to achieve, it is a different story when reloading smaller gauges.  And when you get to know other reloaders, you may find there are savings to be had by buying in bulk.