sillosock decoys

I use 20 sillos and they do the job . I also have 10 flock coated shells ,and if i had to choose i would go for the sillos for most situations , and the shells in strong wind . I had a pattern of sillos out on rape this year ,and a mate was watching me from his car ,and thought they looked and moved very realistically.

Only used them once in a pattern with non-flocked plastic deeks along with one magnet with Hypaflappers on and one with non-flocked plastic.

First impression of the silosocks, not a good one. from the hide their looked like Brent/Canada geese bigger than any pigeon I've seen, and not exactly looking pigeon like. However I will say that the breeze we had on the day, did mean that they wavered and moved with the wind adding a touch of realism.

First impression of the hypa flappers was (Sorry Will), not a good one either, when i was hsowed them my first reaction was what the hell is that and who the hell would pay that much for them. But stick them on the whirly and the realism given as the wind flowed over the wings and i could see why they might be successful. I would like to see these wings sold seperatley to stick on solid bodies as together i think this would be the ideal solution.

In comparison with the plastic body deeks on the other whirly I can see (Albeit this is the only time I have done it) that neither is better than the other, birds came to both readily and favored neither more than the other. Likewise with the silosocks, pigeons set to land amongst and next to both sorts.

All in all I would say inconclusive, but on appearances alone, not worth the money. On the action of the hypa flappers, I have to say good system and adds the realism thats been missing all these years.

Can't quite believe the Hype about the UV paint though. Sorry, but I have done some research on this subject and can't see anything on the market and have spoken to people at ICI recently who are in a position to know about these things and they say that ordainary white paint would work equally well. Try Tippex.

SS

There is no doubt that the paintwork on them does stand out at a greater distance, than on the normal flocked, or unflocked decoys that I have seen.

This is a good thread with a few set up tips.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...osocks&st=0

UV paints are available from most model making /hobby shops.

Then surely the answer is to give those plastic deeks the once over with white paint or tippex and not to pay over the odds for something that claims to be the best all singing all dancing thing to happen to Pigeon decoying. As I said in my initial post. The action/movement given by the breeze or wind is realistic, the shape, colouration and general appearance isn't. This was only one the one occasion, but surely if they were that good then MC would have had the birds pouring over him and i would have had nothing, but NO the result was equal.

If somebody posts something like, would the plastics have worked if the Silosocks weren't there, then there are two scenario's 1) would the silosocks have worked if the plastics weren't there and 2) its liking asking the question "Does a tree make a sound when it falls over in the woods and nobodies there to hear it". The truth is we will never know.

At the end of the day there is no substitute for fieldcraft and actually working out the flightlines, feeding fields properly before hand.

SS

the best way i have tried with my full body decoys is get a jet wash and the colours will restrore an i put matt colour white on the deeks an they work wonders but still i aint convinced about the sillosocks waste of my money.