E-bikes

Doc Holliday

A mate of mine is in to e-bikes and, after a go on one of his, have made a purchase myself. 

I usually do a fair bit of research before forking out a few quid but have allowed myself to be guided towards one of this years models. It's a Haibike xduro nduro 8.0 2018. 

I was going to be a little more conservative where getting in to it is concerned but my mate said he is on his third bike as he had the same view as me but wishes he had gone with a better spec to start with.

I initially thought they were for people too lazy to put the effort in but they'r really not. Anyone else in to them? 

I've just bought a Bafang e-bike conversion kit from Eclipse Bikes. Intend to use it for my rather hilly commute to work and some light trail riding.  A friend has had one for 2 years and couldn't speak more highly of it. I had a suitable donor bike and have just finished setting it up. Really quite straight forward. Would have been even easier if bike didn't have disk brakes. Planning to get out on it for the first time this evening.

52 minutes ago, figgy said:

Its a shame you cant use the cyclo moto on bikes over here. I can still remember as a youth having a few goes on a peddle and pop piagio moped.

You essentially can albeit with the need for fairly minimal tax and insurance.

I dabbled for a while with velosolexes, huge amounts of fun. Finding one old enough to avoid the mot and tax is useful (though the mot requirements are so low as to be pretty meaningless), insurance once registered is very cheap if you already have a motorcycle policy to add one to.

51 minutes ago, figgy said:

Wb123 that's the spoiler you need a motorbike license even for such a small powered engine on a push bike. Whereas we can go and buy much more powerful electric bikes and off we go no license required,yet.

If you have a car licence it will come under your existing moped entitlement p, am, or q category. You may or may not need to do a compulsory basic training course to validate it depending where and when you passed your test but if needed it validates up to the limits of the p, q, or am categories indefinitely. No L plates you have a full licence for those categories.

The modern day e-bikes are restricted to 15mph as anything over that then gets it classed as a moped. Apparently you can buy a dongle which derestricts it giving you full power all the time. For off-road use only though and not to be used on the road as your friendly neighbourhood bobby will be feeling your collar. Oh, yes, we don't have those anymore, do we? Friendly neighbourhood bobbies, I mean, not collars.

9 minutes ago, Doc Holliday said:

The modern day e-bikes are restricted to 15mph as anything over that then gets it classed as a moped. Apparently you can buy a dongle which derestricts it giving you full power all the time. For off-road use only though and not to be used on the road as your friendly neighbourhood bobby will be feeling your collar. Oh, yes, we don't have those anymore, do we? Friendly neighbourhood bobbies, I mean, not collars.

Had me checking my shirt for a moment...

I did see a chap on one that had been going suspiciously quickly getting his collar felt on my commute once, but he looked like a complete scrote so may well have been pulled for something else.