stinker weening age, and rehoming age

flash

the stinker babs are now 4 weeks and 4 days old. and ive started propre handling. just wandering what age to start weening and homing. for homing i think around 7 weeks, i got mine at 8 weeks. and for weening maybe 5 or 6 weeks.

they have started eating the ferret complete, but only the little bits ive broken up, as they cant fit the whole bit in there mouth. also feeding them ferret complete soaked in water and mushed up. and for a treat, bread soaked in lactose free milk. and sometimes they manage to find mums cat food, and have a quick nibble. any other ideas for the babies. and to bulk mum up as shes looking very thin.

cheers

flash

Mine are now 7 weeks old yesterday and Im going to wean them tonight, there all already wolfing down whatever I give them Ferret Complete, Rabbit, Day old chicks, I mean everything. They are all now weel handled and I can pick them all up with ease now. Im letting mine go the end of next week which they will be aorund the 9 week old mark I think is ok, as I know all the buyers and will be able to keep an eye on them.

Im keeping three jills and its killing me trying to decide which ones as I have 5 Jills and 4 Hobs in my litter.... :P

Mine have always weaned themselves, just keep increasing the jills food to make sure she gets enough.

When they are leaving her alone (she will push them away), you can move them to other hutches if you want.

I wouldn't try to feed your jill up, just make sure she has enough food and her condition will return soon enough.

Feeding kits takes it out of them.

8-10 weeks old for rehoming i recommend, mine weened themselves off the mother aswell, just gave the mother pigeon breasts and rabbit, and she took it into the sleeping compartment for the kits to eat. Job done.

Best not to rush rehoming them, get them handlable first and then you can be proud of them.

Alex

:lol:

all the kits have started eating cat food(wet), ferret complete(crushed or soaked in water) and lactose free milk in bread(although still seems to give them the squits. on saturday i noticed that mum was looking very frustrated, constantly moving around the hutch, and wouldnt settle down with the kits, spoke to my local ferret expert who reckoned she was probably fed up with them, as 9 is a big litter for one to look after, so ive moved mum back into her old hitch with other girls. and the kits are in a hug crate inside, being fed on the finest food inder constant watch, and nice and warm. they have lots of room to move around in it as well. i know mum wont stop lactating for a week or so, so if needs be she can be put back in. they are 5 1/2 weeks old, and all but one have there eyes open. at feeding time the bowls are put down, and they all find it straight away(even the blind one), and if there are any stragglers they are put to the food. any other advice. there all getting handled lots, and dont nip. any help.

cheers

flash

all the kits have started eating cat food(wet), ferret complete(crushed or soaked in water) and lactose free milk in bread(although still seems to give them the squits. on saturday i noticed that mum was looking very frustrated, constantly moving around the hutch, and wouldnt settle down with the kits, spoke to my local ferret expert who reckoned she was probably fed up with them, as 9 is a big litter for one to look after, so ive moved mum back into her old hitch with other girls. and the kits are in a hug crate inside, being fed on the finest food inder constant watch, and nice and warm. they have lots of room to move around in it as well. i know mum wont stop lactating for a week or so, so if needs be she can be put back in. they are 5 1/2 weeks old, and all but one have there eyes open. at feeding time the bowls are put down, and they all find it straight away(even the blind one), and if there are any stragglers they are put to the food. any other advice. there all getting handled lots, and dont nip. any help.

cheers

flash

From what I have read (and I am no expert by any means) at 5 weeks they should/could be on raw meat.

Let me find some posts from THL and PM them to you.

Good idea moving Mum away, she must be fed up by now.

/Mad

I have never fed ferrets (kits or adults) bread and milk, it certainly gives them the squits, which is not good for them.

As you are feeding good quality other foods, do they need that as well ?

they only go them that on the first day as a treat, as was there first day from mum, im a big softy i know, there on wet cat food and ferret complete, gonna start putting rabbit and pigeon in soon. and scraps from the butcher my sis works in( i get it for free, but is only local meat which is good), she works the deli counter not as a butcher:)

cheers

flash