Rem 700 Varmint

Browning

I've decided on my next rifle, and I'm going for factory Rem700, Varmint barrel, in .243 caliber.

I'm looking for advice on stocking it. The .243 caliber only has two stocking options from the factory, so I now feel that I have two choices:-

1) Standard Laminated stock, have it bedded.

2) Standard synthetic stock (Which looks and feels a bit naff), swap it for a Wild Dog varmint stock and have it bedded.

The second option will be about £150 more than the first.

What would you do? Is the Wild Dog stock worth the money?

I asked Remington directly and they confirmed that the barrel is free floated and action bedded :good: No doubt you may get some (as you seem to get with a lot of Tikka's) that may have tight spots, but they can be sorted/checked out prior to purchase.

This came up recently with regards to another make, I can't remember which.

People have different understanding of what 'bedding' actually is.

I would like to know how this rifle is bedded.

It is quite an expensive and time consuming process, so I can beleive it may be free floated, but bedding is something else all together.

It is quite an expensive and time consuming process, so I can beleive it may be free floated, but bedding is something else all together.

That's exactly what I was thinking Stuart. I'd be very surprised if a factory rifle at this cost has been bedded.

Remington said the VLS was full contact bedding of the action & free floated barrel. :good: Not entirely sure but I think they may have stated it was glass bedded.

Don't think the synthetic version is bedded, plus like you say it is a cheap & nasty flimsy stock - compared to the laminate, wood or mcmillan stocked versions anyway.

I doubt it is bedded at all, maybe it has pillars, but epoxy beeding would cost £300+, so the likelyhood of a cheap-ish factory rifle coming glass bedded are slim.

Does anyone on here have one? they can confirm/deny

Doesn't one of the Irish boys have one or Fister maybe?

" The Model 700â„¢ VLS (Varmint Laminated Stock) delivers tack-driving, varmint rifle accuracy with a handsome, resin-impregnated, laminated stock. Includes Monte Carlo cheekpiece, and a wide, flat, beaver tail shape fore-end for enhanced stability "

Maybe what is being referred to?

Brick wall, head :rolleyes: I'll ask for it written in blood next time I contact Remington. :good:

" The Model 700â„¢ VLS (Varmint Laminated Stock) delivers tack-driving, varmint rifle accuracy with a handsome, resin-impregnated, laminated stock. Includes Monte Carlo cheekpiece, and a wide, flat, beaver tail shape fore-end for enhanced stability "

Maybe what is being referred to?

That is how they make the stock Stuart :good:

So...

Laminates are good and stiff and weather resistant (if the caoting doesn't get damaged)

They weigh a bit though.

I have a grey one on my Tikka and have drilled out the butt to get the weight down a bit, but even then I put the ABS one on it to stalk in Scotland.

If I could afford it I would get a McMillan as that would do it all, but I am not going to pay UK prices for one of those :good:

Stuart is correct, Fister is the man to ask about Remmys at the moment.

His VSF and PSS stocks both have an aluminium bedding block built into the stock which supports the action and floats the barrel.

They give very good results from a factory-fit stock.

I'm sure Fister will give more details if you need them.

my vssf ii has an alloy block that the action sits on barrel well floated. the vls might have pillars but defo wont be a glass bedded action :good: browning id go for the wild dog stock. they have a nice one looks like a mcmillian a5. love to get one myself

Hello all the older remmy's vssf & vs were in an HS Precision stock & very good as they are beded on an aluminium block that run's the full length of the stock for strenth to the front QD stud.I have just bought a HS Precision stock in grey web for my remmy ADL short action.You can get them new from rifle craft for £270 i got mine on another site.

I know exactly why you like it Fister, great gun and great feel :) ...but I have to say...I personally couldn't live with the look. :good: I'm all for not taking looks into account too much when talking rifles...but that's just not for me. Personally, as I mentioned before I also like being able to take shots standing too. :good:

That's what I love about life though...we're all different! Many thanks for sharing it with us too! :mad:

And here we have it straight from the horses mouth.........

Thank you for contacting Remington Arms.

The 700 VLS varmint is one of the few varmint guns that are not bedded from the factory. They are however very good guns. I think you will be very happy with your choice.

Thanks

Pete

My take on it is:

All rifles are bedded to the stock the bedidng is the mateing between the stock and the action.

Some rifles have chassis, or aluminium bedding block type scenario.

Some rifles have aluminium pillars fitted in to the stock that fit where the action bolts are

Some rifles have standard bedding.

What people often talk about when bedding a stock after market is, Using a glass bedding compound in order to get a perfect fit between the stock and the action. This can be done to all of the combinations above and in some cases fitting aluminium pillars to the standard stock is part of the process.

I have just baught one of the VSF stocks with the aluminium bedding blocks and chassis for mine. I intend to glass bed it when I fit it but I have no doubt it can shoot sub 1/2 MOA without the glass bedding.

Dave

just out of interest what do you shoot at from standing oly?

Stalking, when in long grass, woodland, many occasions you just don't want to attract the quarry's attention, make too much noise etc.

And here we have it straight from the horses mouth.........

The 700 VLS varmint is one of the few varmint guns that are not bedded from the factory. They are however very good guns. I think you will be very happy with your choice.

Which totally contradicts what my quote from the same horse!! :huh: