Close season

Matt.Tsk

Should wood pigeons be intitled to a close season  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Should wood pigeons be intitled to a close season

• Yes they should
    • No they should'nt

Following research by Natural England discussions have begun between NATURAL ENGLAND, THE NFU, DEFRA AND THE MINISTER OF AGRICULTURE, I believe the RSPB and the BTO are also involved.

The BASC have not been invited and pretend they know nothing about it.

can anyone from the basc comment on this please.

And your source of information that supplied this gem is where exactly?

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...=3772&st=45

post 59 bob, do try and keep up old chap.

So that was your source of information? Not exactly a spokesman of the BASC or any of the other organisations mentioned is it? More along the lines of "a bloke in a pub told, so it must be true"...... Innit?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Following research by Natural England discussions have begun between NATURAL ENGLAND, THE NFU, DEFRA AND THE MINISTER OF AGRICULTURE, I believe the RSPB and the BTO are also involved.

The BASC have not been invited and pretend they know nothing about it.

can anyone from the basc comment on this please.

And your source of information that supplied this gem is where exactly?

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...=3772&st=45

post 59 bob, do try and keep up old chap.

So that was your source of information? Not exactly a spokesman of the BASC or any of the other organisations mentioned is it? More along the lines of "a bloke in a pub told, so it must be true"...... Innit?

are you going daft with old age,

can anyone from the basc comment on this please

thats all i asked , for someone to clear it up. give your head a shake.

The situation with Woody in the UK is unlike any other in Europe where the birds are less in number (en masse) and migratory and DO NOT pose the same threats to agriculture as they do here. With the high price of grains likely to remain for the foreseeable future the financial damage pigeons do to crops here should ensure a continuation of the General Licence to shoot them. That said now that Natural England administer the GL who knows, they're a daft lot there! :yes:

My vote NO CLOSED SEASON

PS In March we were shooting a good number of young birds that must have been born/fledged around November/December. We're still seeing a percentage of young birds in the bags so I guess they really are breeding in (almost) every month of the year.

The situation with Woody in the UK is unlike any other in Europe where the birds are less in number (en masse) and migratory and DO NOT pose the same threats to agriculture as they do here. With the high price of grains likely to remain for the foreseeable future the financial damage pigeons do to crops here should ensure a continuation of the General Licence to shoot them. That said now that Natural England administer the GL who knows, they're a daft lot there! :blush:

My vote NO CLOSED SEASON

PS In March we were shooting a good number of young birds that must have been born/fledged around November/December. We're still seeing a percentage of young birds in the bags so I guess they really are breeding in (almost) every month of the year.

Yep, for sure, I have seen nests with eggs every month of the year, not every year but in mild winters they will breed all year round.