Best semi auto

Oldgun

Well, I have a Remington 1100 16 gauge made in 1961 I believe. Paid £90 for it at auction 28yrs ago and it still works like a Swiss watch.  I have replaced one rubber seal and one extractor claw in all that time.  Wish I had a fiver for everyhting it has shot.  Tricl with all autos is to keep them clean.

53 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Well, I have a Remington 1100 16 gauge made in 1961 I believe. Paid £90 for it at auction 28yrs ago and it still works like a Swiss watch.  I have replaced one rubber seal and one extractor claw in all that time.  Wish I had a fiver for everyhting it has shot.  Trick with all autos is to keep them clean.

Indeed and only load them with the correct length of cartridge!

Well, I used to shoot some East European stuff years ago, the ones with the transparent shot card. Brilliant cartridge and never failed to cycle. Now I shoot mainly Lylevale Special Sixteens  28g  65mm and again never had a hang up.... yes, only time was when the original rubber seal gave in.  Had a couple of new seals shipped from Brownells (back when they did) and never looked back.

On a budget ? You can go very cheap and reliable cheap as it gets Franchi 48AL recoil operated reliable they last for years.

If you want to spend a little more but still cheaper than your average modern semi get the first and IMHO opinion the best semi auto ever made. Buy a Browning/ FN auto 5 they are out there cheap and nothing made today regardless of price in semi autos is as well engineered and as hard wearing. They stopped making them 25 or so years ago after nearly a century of production and were close to £1000 then i shudder to think what they would cost to produce now, but they are largely an unloved bargain but gaining in popularity steadily good 3 inch magnums are starting to climb in price especially in the states but here in uk a 2 3/4 inch one can be had under £200 if you look around.