Rare Fox Hunting Prints

Paul in North Lincs.

I have recently acquired these two very old Normill prints from an old relative. Having done a bit of research on these I have attached below the detaills I've obtained from an art historian who has been researching the Normill company...They are in excelent condition as they have been on storage for decades.....I just have no where to put them

The picture are named "the top of the morning" and "picking up the scent" and depict two fox hunting scenes. The have the orignal frames which are a very early type of bakerlite / plastic, and the hanging 'chains' are still in place

I am looking for £40 each plus postage.............please pm me for more details

"The Normill print Label was the printing firm of W. Haigh & Sons of Southall, London.

Looking at the scan of your picture, it was also framed by them, your print was printed in the 1920's.

I have been researching the printing firm for two years and I have just sent off all the information to the Southall History Society, in London.

The printing process was called Colotype for Oil, Watercolours, and pen & ink drawing.

Value depends on condition and subject matter, however a matching set recently sold at Southerby's for £380 for the pair, so they are quite desirable, especially when the company disbanded in 1934 "

The value of these items depends on the artist and edtion numbers. Normill printed numerous artists and subject themes can you identify the artist? How long have they been in your relatives possession as I have seen some reproductions. I dont particularly want them as I have a couple similar. But I would say that I would not sell mine for less than £150 each so I think if you put them in the right auction with a reserve of £80.00 you could do better. If I bought them from you for £80 I would only sell them on at the local auction !!! :good:

Cheers.

FM.

Mike .....the pictures actually belonged to my Great Grandad, and my elderly grandma who died recently had them in her possesion ever since............these were found under her bed rapped in an old blanket

They are the 2635 series, with the original Normill labels on the back.....Unforunately I am advise by the Historian that all documents relating to this company were incinerated when the company disbanded, back in 1934 and on that basis there is very little informantion to be had...............

With regards to the artist, my chap dosn't recognise the siniture who originally painted the scenes in this series, and research has shown that Normill had aprox 60 artists working for them in their hay-day. The originals naturally became the foundation of the prints we see today......

To be honest, I do not have the time to troll the local auctions, hence the tantaive add on here........................there you go mike...........theres an ideal oportunity for you to make yourself a quick 80 dabs!! :no: :o

cheers

Paul ;)

• 1 year later...